Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burdock for Food
1 January 2013, 06:18,
Burdock for Food
Dry yourself some or buy some hay. Make yourself a wooden box, without a lid about two foot in height. Fill the box with hay until it is about six inches from the top. Now, fill the box to the top with good compost with Burdock seed. If the box is one foot square one seed in the middle will be sufficient, if two foot square, plant four seeds , each about six inches from the corners. When the Burdock are fully grown, pull them up. The roots will have grown down into the hay and they will be clean, peel and slice them and cook as other root vegetables. The Japanese grow much Burdock for food. There name for it is Gobo. You can also roast the root. If you dig wild Burdock you will need to clean them well, a messy job, and cut off any bad portions. Much better to grow them in the box system. Try some; seeds are available. Enjoy, Kenneth Eames.
1 January 2013, 17:48,
RE: Burdock for Food
Thanks for this, I've grown burdock on my allotment as an experiment last year to see if it was any easier to harvest than foraged from the wild, it was still bloody hard work digging it up, will give this method a go in the future.
2 January 2013, 05:59,
RE: Burdock for Food
T-Oddity give it a go, The stem can be peeled and cooked lika Asparagus. It can be used in Herbal medicine and there will be information to follow soon in the Alternative medicine section of the Forum. This year I will be posting fairly regularly on the FORUM. Kenneth Eames.