Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devon & Cornwall flood road repairs to cost millions.
4 January 2013, 12:23,
Devon & Cornwall flood road repairs to cost millions.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-208.........just think about this for a moment, what if this was AFTER TSHTF and NOBODY was coming to repair these potholes, how long do you think it would be before these roads are impassable? and forget about going off road, in weather like we have been having you would get about 30 feet off road and you would sink up to your axles!and yes that does include 4WD!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 January 2013, 13:19,
RE: Devon & Cornwall flood road repairs to cost millions.
Thats what made me give up on my 4x4 last year... tried going off road but all the rain... right up to the hubs...
waste of time. to much messing about digging it out constantly, not my idea of fun at all...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
4 January 2013, 14:09,
(4 January 2013, 13:19)Prepper1 Wrote: Thats what made me give up on my 4x4 last year... tried going off road but all the rain... right up to the hubs...
waste of time. to much messing about digging it out constantly, not my idea of fun at all...

yep, given a year like 2012 or 2000 and off roading will be impossible!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 January 2013, 20:46,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20897339

Is that the link? Sure they could have found better pot holes than those? The only thing that has stopped my Hilux has been inclines and deep, frozen hard snow drifts. I have near been up to the sills in mud and got where I needed, but I do run on 90% mud bias tyres. As long as I have a bit of grip to get moving, jsut stay in low range and let it pull itself along.

The roads around here are not too bad and have had a lot of flash flooding, but I was in the middle of no where the next county down in the Mrs's car today and you could have hid her car in some of the holes in the roads.
5 January 2013, 10:29, (This post was last modified: 5 January 2013, 10:40 by bigpaul.)
some of the back country roads i travel on havent been repaired from the winter damage of 2010 and many of them are damaged from before that, some are very rough indeed, but my main point was that IF this was TS hitting TF nobody would be coming to repair them and they would only get worse, eventually they would be impassable( i saw a road in the newspaper this morning in Oxfordshire that has split in two and is now unusable,) this would happen all over, if you hadnt already Bugged Out you would be unable to travel very far.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/3687...ng-deluge/
5 January 2013, 12:59,
That one is a bit extreme - that bit of road is on the side of a decent hill, the road is very old and the council do not have a record of when it was last maintained. With thing like motorways and modern dual carraigeways, you would need a glacier to shift them.

The road there is by no means impassible - it is safe for a decent volume of traffic, but half of the road has not collapsed. When we had the 100 year floods in August in the North East, I went out on some 'destroyed' roads and while I was going a lot slower than I normally would, I was still going.

Some of the country roads the next county down from me have not been repaired since 2010 or before. Holes that were caused by winter damage meant that the floods washed out a lot of the footings for the roads. There are some bloody big holes.
5 January 2013, 13:21,
(5 January 2013, 12:59)BDG Wrote: That one is a bit extreme - that bit of road is on the side of a decent hill, the road is very old and the council do not have a record of when it was last maintained. With thing like motorways and modern dual carraigeways, you would need a glacier to shift them.

The road there is by no means impassible - it is safe for a decent volume of traffic, but half of the road has not collapsed. When we had the 100 year floods in August in the North East, I went out on some 'destroyed' roads and while I was going a lot slower than I normally would, I was still going.

Some of the country roads the next county down from me have not been repaired since 2010 or before. Holes that were caused by winter damage meant that the floods washed out a lot of the footings for the roads. There are some bloody big holes.
thats my whole point, one of the roads we regularly use has been washed out into the river, and its not the only one.