Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas mask suits and boots
8 January 2013, 20:48,
RE: Gas mask suits and boots
(8 January 2013, 19:36)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Highlander, You should take Kelp everyday it will take some time for the Thyroid to fill. Should Radiation become a problem it will certainly help. Scotland has a lot of Radon, search the internet for Radon areas. Special Radon barrier can be purchased for under the house. Kenneth Eames.

I was going to ask about the pills,...I was wondering how long before the event we might start taking them, but I guess as we wouldnt know whan that event would be, it would be prudent to start now,... they do have other benifits too

I dont know what Radon is, but I know a search engine that does
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 January 2013, 21:22,
(8 January 2013, 20:03)Prepper1 Wrote:
(8 January 2013, 18:12)Barneyboy Wrote:
(8 January 2013, 17:54)bigpaul Wrote:
(8 January 2013, 17:51)Barneyboy Wrote: i think a dirty bomb is a real possibility very much so

maybe, but i cant see one being dropped in Norfolk!Tongue

no thank fuck ,no big targets here but big city hubs me thinks

Thats not what your missus said about your arse Barney....TongueTongueTongue

sod off you git Smile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
8 January 2013, 22:13, (This post was last modified: 8 January 2013, 22:18 by TheGuru.)
(8 January 2013, 20:48)Highlander Wrote:
(8 January 2013, 19:36)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Highlander, You should take Kelp everyday it will take some time for the Thyroid to fill. Should Radiation become a problem it will certainly help. Scotland has a lot of Radon, search the internet for Radon areas. Special Radon barrier can be purchased for under the house. Kenneth Eames.

I was going to ask about the pills,...I was wondering how long before the event we might start taking them, but I guess as we wouldnt know whan that event would be, it would be prudent to start now,... they do have other benifits too

I dont know what Radon is, but I know a search engine that does

If this is a real woory to you Highlander stock up on French green clay, I have used this several times and its good stuff, it was put into choclate bars and fed to the Chernobyl kids to rid them of rads. Do a wee search on line and you will find all the info and where to buy it, I still have a couple of kilos of it in the house.

I forgot to mention Highlander that you now live in one of the most radioactive regions of Scotland, the Radon comes from granite which as you know the Fort sits on, try asking about town for some of the guys that work over in the superquarry in Morvern across the other side of the Loch, there is a tunnel that runs just over 2 miles in through the granit mountain. You can only spend so much time in it due to the build up of Radon.
8 January 2013, 22:24, (This post was last modified: 8 January 2013, 22:25 by Highlander.)
There maybe a risk, here, but a modern map of Raydon puts most towards the east of the Highland,.. it looks like we are sitting in the white

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPAwebS...5733749409
9 January 2013, 00:59,
from what i can remember the suits, gloves and overboots were only meant to protect you for 24 hrs in a moderately contaminated enviroment (less in a more heavily contaminated one), after which they were to be disposed of and a new vacuum packed one to be used. the suits don't stop radiation effecting you, but stop radioactive particles from getting on your everyday wear and, more importantly, on your skin. to remove them you had to operate in pairs and remove each others. to do this you cut up the front of the smock(scissor/shears, but knife would do) and then peel the smock back so it turns inside out and pull arms inside out. smock then goes in binbag. cut off gloves and into b/b. cut down front of each leg and peel back, inside out(whilst shrugging off braces). b/b. cut off boots and b/b. then stripped man would don his new outfit and remove his buddys. if in a clean place like a building then you would strip each other and then use fullers earth to decontaminate the respirators before removing. as i said, the suits don't protect you from radiation and in theory we should have been issued dosemeters to measure rad levels so you could get out of the contaminated area when you started receiving too high a dose. as others have pointed out, in reality, we'd have been left to soldier on as dead men walking.Angel for civvies an nbc suit is really part of a GOOD kit to allow you to evacuate the contaminated area and keep you sterile. an asbestos suit would be good over the top as another layer to keep the nasties out. i personally think a good improvised substitute, imho, would be an industrial rain suit from the likes of screwfix, greenhams, arco etc with an asbestos suit over the top, as once the asbestos suit is removed, you could stand under a shower to clean the rain suit before removing. you would, of course, still need a full face respirator(oh yes, cannisters on the S6 and S10 respirators were only designed for 24 hrs in moderate contamination)
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same
9 January 2013, 08:42,
Thats a good post Ranger.. thanks
9 January 2013, 22:05,
Hi, I've been racking my brainsHuh and I think I may need to clarify some things as I may have conflated some points. The most likely scenario for the use of these suits would have been a chemical attack and that is why they are impregnated with charcoal, to absorb the chemicals(and aerosol dispersed bio weapons). Therefore the heavier the contamination, the more it has to absorb, the shorter the protective time. That's also why you use the fullers earth pads to mop up the chems on non-absorbent surfaces(boots, gloves, gasperator and weapon). In a nuclear/dirty bomb scenario, the problem is radioactive particles(I.E. dust), which the suit does not absorb, it only acts as a barrier to stop the dust getting on you and your clothes. The only things that will stop the radiation affecting you is a solid barrier(thick walls) and/or distance between you and the radioactive source. That is why you must get out of the contaminated area ASAP, or get deep inside a clean building, and dispose of the suit(as described) as soon as you step out of the contaminated zone. In either of the scenario's, the heavier the contamination, the shorter the lifespan of the respirator cannisters as they will clog up quicker. I hope this clarify's things a bit more
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same
9 January 2013, 22:10,
(8 January 2013, 17:51)Barneyboy Wrote: i think a dirty bomb is a real possibility very much so

I thought one already had gone off in Norfolk Tongue
9 January 2013, 22:12,
(9 January 2013, 22:10)Lancsprepper Wrote:

I thought one already had gone off in Norfolk Tongue

you also are a git and can sod off as wellSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
9 January 2013, 22:55,
Aye,..its not the Nuclear radiation that I am talking about, I doubt that will be a threat,... but a dirty bomb is always a real possiblity,.. The contamination from a none nuclear bomb is [ thankfully] a bit easier to deal with, this was why I thought that your suggestion of the asbestos suit to be a good one,... if those were worn over the gas suit, and you had to go out then all that would be needed is to remove those suits each time you returned, because they would act as the barrier, leaving the carcoal suit still good, and those suits are very cheap to buy

The other key of course is the clean building,.. its not a great job to seal a small bungalow, but I would need probably two areas within my house to act as cleaning rooms, and a place to bin old asbestos suits, I would put two sealed section up my hall

The risk is almost none here, and if ever it did happen it would be very mild by the time it reached here,... but it just makes more sense to talk it through so its in my mind