Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
introducing the ishack £410
9 January 2013, 22:25, (This post was last modified: 9 January 2013, 22:26 by BDG.)
RE: introducing the ishack £410
(9 January 2013, 11:07)Straight Shooter Wrote: OK lets get serious, after ww2 prefabs were manufactured and erected all over the uk ..for short term housing, i have worked on some over the years....fifty years later....THIS type on building is needed RIGHT now..with all the hitec materials now at hand we could produce some real great dwellings and all done for very little money and carried out very quickly. We could solve housing problems inside 12 months....get people on the housing ladder...create jobs and a much needed boost to get out of this depression..its that easy .....so whats stopping this sort of development......in the USA most housing is build this way..so WHY not HERE

It is not a housing problem so much as a money problem. If people want housing, they can get it, it is just not affordable to them. Rather than make housing cheaper, they should earn more.

The reason we tend not to build like this in the UK is because we build houses that last. I know quite a few guys who have done housebuild in the UK and US/Canada and they all say the same thing. In North America most housing is built to last 15-20 years. With repairs it can last longer.

In the UK, houses are built to last. My house is 120 years old and is still on its first roof. Mine has got double glazing, but some of the neighbours still have the original windows and frames. I think everyone has had the doors replaced. Everywhere will have been pointed once or twice.

Look at what happens to a lot of US housing in a storm - it is turned to matches. UK housing - a few slipped tiles on the roof.

(9 January 2013, 22:13)Ranger Wrote: There are prefabs still being lived in in Winlaton(Geordieland) and are still sort after

Most if not all of them have been overclad or been underpinned, had extra foundations added and new walls built around them.

Messages In This Thread
introducing the ishack £410 - by bigpaul - 9 January 2013, 10:27
RE: introducing the ishack £410 - by BDG - 9 January 2013, 22:25
RE: introducing the ishack £410 - by Ranger - 9 January 2013, 22:13
RE: introducing the ishack £410 - by BDG - 10 January 2013, 22:46
RE: introducing the ishack £410 - by BDG - 11 January 2013, 00:28
RE: introducing the ishack £410 - by Tarrel - 11 January 2013, 23:44