Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Supply from spring!?
23 January 2013, 12:26,
Water Supply from spring!?
Hi all, i have a sping and a small stream in my field, but im not sure how to get the water from my stream to my cabin without doing too much work(filling up containers), hoping for a tap system! any ideas?

the stream is less than 20 meters away and flows all year round
Not all thoses who wander are lost- J.R.R. Tolkien
23 January 2013, 14:11,
RE: Water Supply from spring!?
(23 January 2013, 12:26)Dayne Wrote: Hi all, i have a sping and a small stream in my field, but im not sure how to get the water from my stream to my cabin without doing too much work(filling up containers), hoping for a tap system! any ideas?

Submersible pump and length of hose?
23 January 2013, 14:14,
Depending on the topography, it would be better to try to divert the stream to run nearer the cabin, then less energy required to pump from the stream to the tap.

If the spring was uphill from the cabin it might even be possible to rig up some kind of cistern or header tank, removing the need for a pump altogether.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
23 January 2013, 14:17,
length of guttering into a water butt??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 January 2013, 22:07,
(23 January 2013, 14:11)BeardyMan Wrote:
(23 January 2013, 12:26)Dayne Wrote: Hi all, i have a sping and a small stream in my field, but im not sure how to get the water from my stream to my cabin without doing too much work(filling up containers), hoping for a tap system! any ideas?

Submersible pump and length of hose?

Or just the hose,... depending on how the lie of the land goes,.... many homes up here are still water fed from the burns, and without a pump in sight,... mind you most house are at the bottom of hills, all they do is fix the pipe into the burn,.. wind it down to the house, syphon it till it runs and stick a tap on it

Burn = stream
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 January 2013, 10:21,
how about a RAM pump??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 February 2013, 20:05,
I have delt with this situation several times and it is really not a big problem unless you are depending on the system to supply water for wastefull uses.

The first action should be to dig a catch basin or cistern in the stream channel or slightly to the side, but still fed by gravity. I have dug basins and lined them with concrete, I have sunk plastic tubs, and I have sunk barrels in or near the stream bed depending on the soil, what I had available, and the flow of the stream.

It is best to do this as far above the level of the end use point as possible. It you have an "uphill" section you can use gravity flow through a hose to supply the use point. That part appears simple, and is. All one needs is a hose and a filter device on the end in the sump, gravity will do the rest, however slowly.

If the water is level with of slightly down hill some imigination is required.

One can simply install a pump from a "caravan" or recreational vehicle if the pump distance is not great or very much lift. Even some farm equipment has 12v pumping system included with sprayers and such. They are easily obtained and operate off of 12v so your solar pannel and normal battery bank will power the.

If you obtained on from an RV it will probably have a preasure switch included so you can prime the system, then simply turn on the tap and water will flow. They are designed to pump water from the RV holding tank and work well if no greet distance of high lift is needed.

The last alternative is what I did on my last place. I plumbed the house and installed a large holding tank/cistern. I used a regular electrical pump to pump water from the spring sump into the holding tanks. After that the system gravity fed with the assistance of an RV pump and the house operated as if on a "normal" water system.