Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are your Survival Skills?
29 January 2013, 19:36,
How are your Survival Skills?
Really simple question, hope it doesn't upset anyone (haha, that's a joke, I really don't care if it upsets anyone. If it does, you probably shouldn't be on a forum that aims to help people out and allow them to learn new stuff).

How are your survival skills?

We've all heard about the Australian kid found 2 miles from Sydney who wanted to know if he could survive in the wild. He made it 9 weeks and was found by his rescuers. Those people saved his life. He was an idiot, and had mental issues (no really, he actually did). So please don't think I'm asking you to do something dumb like that.

When did you last use your survival skills? When did you last learn a new skill? What skills do you want to learn? What do you already know?

Really, this is a skill based thread. If someone wants to learn a skill, please open a new thread and ask for that help.

So, go on then, how good are your survival skills?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 January 2013, 19:42,
RE: How are your Survival Skills?
Got loads to learn, the list is never ending.
29 January 2013, 19:53,
I often go out camping with the very least equipment I can get away with, Its been a while since I used a tent to camp,...I admit that it is usually in the summer, but not always, I have woke up to snow on the basha before now.

I usually cook on an open fire, but I admit that I also carry a Hexi cooker just in case, though I can usualy get one started even in the soggy Highlands

I must admit that I would love to know more about survival in the Highlands, because as I see it, there is so very little around,... what do I know?... well I can start a fire using the cotton grass during the summer, other than that, the only dry tinder will be found in amounst the rocks either taken in during the winter by animals or blown in,.........the red colored moss is full of iodine, so its safe to drink from and will do good as a covering for cuts,..... bracken during the summer makes great thatch for shelters,.. splitting the stems of Bracken fine, makes a fairly good string if used enough of,...its also great for insulating your bed to stop cold creeping up.

...... and thats about it, the Highlands is a very unforgiving place so if anyone knows a few tips, I would be a very gratfull student
A major part of survival is invisibility.
29 January 2013, 22:09,
Highlands bracken = TICKS that's a no no lymes disease
There are courses that are run up there Lawrence did have a school for bushcraft up there but have forgotten the name sorry he is a very good teacher he used to work for ray mears done my course up there by dunkeld
Sorry to go off thread but had to say about the ticks

Bd
29 January 2013, 23:11,
(29 January 2013, 22:09)bowdrill Wrote: Highlands bracken = TICKS that's a no no lymes disease
There are courses that are run up there Lawrence did have a school for bushcraft up there but have forgotten the name sorry he is a very good teacher he used to work for ray mears done my course up there by dunkeld
Sorry to go off thread but had to say about the ticks

Bd

We get ticks on us regular, almost every day either myself or the dogs pick up ticks,... I guess what I should have added was that I will always cover the bracken over before placing the sleeping bag on the bracken.

I have not heard of the bushcraft school up here
A major part of survival is invisibility.
31 January 2013, 14:31,
If he survived nine weeks then he can't be that bad. Most of the UK wouldn't have managed that,

Intelligence does not add that many points to survivability. So lack of has its advantages.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 February 2013, 22:24,
I have a good few skills and knowledge. I can find food and water in the wild, build shelters and light fires. I can fashion tools and equipment like bow drills, spears for hunting/fishing, bow and arrows and camp kit like cook tripods etc. I can lash and tie knots with both rope and natural fibres. I know a bit about natural remedies and useful plants. I know how to gut and clean fish and game and various cooking techniques. The main thing though is that I beleive I can survive and I have four excellent reasons to make it if the worst happened. When you read all the survival stories or watch the Ray Mears series you soon see that people who have survived extreme hardship may not have had any skillsor knowledge just the mental strength to keep going and trying.
An old scout is full of rescource, that is he can find a way out of any difficulty or discomfort. (Lord Robert Baden Powell)
15 February 2013, 12:51,
ive practised survival skills for years but still have a lot to learn and practice
i booked myself on a `5 Day Basic to Advanced Survival Course` and was suprised how much id already learnt previously.
15 February 2013, 14:38,
I'd say my skills are pretty good but I defiantly need to brush up on foraging for wild plants. It's all well and good reading a book but it certainly doesn't match getting out there and putting it to practice.

Also I'm interested in squirrel traps. Shooting them is hard enough, anyone got any good traps for these sly little gits?
15 February 2013, 18:52,
(15 February 2013, 14:38)Megatron Wrote: I'd say my skills are pretty good but I defiantly need to brush up on foraging for wild plants. It's all well and good reading a book but it certainly doesn't match getting out there and putting it to practice.

Also I'm interested in squirrel traps. Shooting them is hard enough, anyone got any good traps for these sly little gits?

If you contact your local wildlife trust group you can usually borrow squirrel traps.
An old scout is full of rescource, that is he can find a way out of any difficulty or discomfort. (Lord Robert Baden Powell)