Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claiming land for allotments
31 January 2013, 17:05,
Claiming land for allotments
Got told a while back if you can get ten names together on a petition you can ask to use council waste land for allotments. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics...ments.html

Would you be able to do it with private land? Theres a few acres near me, its been empty since I moved to the area 3years ago, but im not sure how long its been disused for im guessing a minimum of ten years by the amount of vegetation on it.

For anyone whos local you might know? Its port of tyne land next to the royal quays if your heading towards the tyne tunnel. Im guessing it used to be a oil/gas terminal just by what concretes left there, theres also abit of train track.
31 January 2013, 18:05,
RE: Claiming land for allotments
(31 January 2013, 17:05)Metroyeti Wrote: Got told a while back if you can get ten names together on a petition you can ask to use council waste land for allotments.

Would you be able to do it with private land?

first check with Land Registry to see if the land is registered, then i guess you ask your local council, if they cant help ask around. chances are if it hasnt been used for 10 years the owner has moved on so he cant complain if you turn up and start tidying it up!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 January 2013, 18:14,
The allotment act (I'm sure that's what it's called but happy to be corrected) has been around for about 100 years mate. I'm sure you only need 4 or 5 registered council tax payers to get together rather than 10. Again I'm happy to be corrected for any of my points incase anyone knows the exact details. I looked into it 2 years ago but couldn't find enough interested parties.
31 January 2013, 19:32,
The landowners are still around, lands used by chavs to graffiti, or off roading on bikes, get the odd poacher down there for rabbits and occasional dog walker
31 January 2013, 20:39,
You'd have to be careful where you put your allotment anyway... jealous people equals foods destroyed in the night...
Don't forget the jealousy equation when thinking about stuff like that, sad you have to but that's modern life for you.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
31 January 2013, 22:04,
i am in the process of trying to rent 0.2 acre of waste land off of my local council.£40 ayear rent,£120 legal costs,£120 survay costs and then they hit me with £335 planning permission(change of use from open green space to allotment land),by the time i have fenced it off,it will be over £1ooo ,bloody expensive veg