Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commentary on how people are situationally unaware
2 February 2013, 13:26,
Post 4 ©NR 2013

I read the article below and viewed the pictures below and it made me start to think about the point being made in the article that most people these days are focused 99% of the time on the space only about a metre around them. Then I took the dog for a walk after dark, I had two youngsters walking ahead of me both head down viewing something on a cellphone or device. A minute or so later I saw another two unconnected people at the bus stop one texting away like mad and the other person in deep conversation on a cellphone with his eyes pointed at his feet. I watched a guy coming out of the village store carrying a bag of groceries in one hand and texting with the other hand he was completely unaware of four teens lurking innocently in the shadows by the side of the shop.

The point I am trying to make is just how completely divorced for the actual world around them many people are, they would not notice if I was coming up behind them with a knife to rob them, they would notice if the bus approaching the bus stop was out of control and mounting the pavement towards them, they would not notice if the teens in the shadows were criminals or after TSHTF robbers.

How often do we just pop out to the car keys in hand not looking left or right to see if anyone was lurking in the shadows, How often do we just walk straight into the elevator as soon as the door opens not noticing if a potential attacker was already aboard or coming aboard behind you. How often do we walk away from the ATM machine with a wadge of cash in our hands without noticing the group of men eying up our money greedily. How often when we leave home for the day do we take note of any unusual vehicles parked near our homes? How often do we just stroll out of the office after working late or stroll out the pub late at night without noticing movement in the shadows where the street light is out?.

How often do you visit the same gun shop / sports shop / discount bulk food warehouse/ grain store/ prepper supply store and pay with the same credit or debit card, then get it delivered to your home or if taking those supplies yourself you go the same way home? Has anyone at the store pried into your shopping habits or amount of kit you buy even if it appeared light hearted, has anyone followed the delivery home or made comment about it.

Are you a creature of habit, are you actually aware of who is near you when you are out and about, have you thought about how you would react if an incident occurred or planned an escape route?

Are you walking with your head down into something you could have avoided if you looked up more often, became situationally aware and had at least some idea of what would you do if something nasty happened.

It’s a big bad world out there right now full of predators, imagine how many more predators will there be as the economic meltdown across Europe gets worse?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ld-us.html

2 February 2013, 14:19,
RE: Commentary on how people are situationally unaware
I think a lot of this is down to where you live,... people who are in the more remote locations are going to be a lot more aware of what is around them, simply because the slightest thing out of place stands out like a sore thumb,.... also the people in these same places we soon let it be known to others if something is not quiet right

As for the more suttle things,.. I think as preppers we are far more in tune with whats going on in the world, we tend to see the worst case in everything, we can then either,.. have been ready, or pleasently suprised if nothing happened
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 February 2013, 15:04,
having lived in a city, i am WELL aware of what is going on around me, in the countryside strangers stick out like a sore thumb, some "muppet" was sitting in a car not far from our house and was noticed straight away, i am constantly aware of people walking up behind me or too close at the ATM, incidentally if people are too close say" excuse me, you are invading my personal space!" and watch them jump back-it works!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 February 2013, 17:03,
I'm always trying to looks for alternative exits inside buildings. I've been in a few fire drills where people flood for the same exit tey come in, when there's another 2 or 3 possible exits.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
2 February 2013, 18:03,
Recently there was roadworks and a path got shut, people would walk upto the fencing and only then notice the path was shut. The amount of times people walk past foxes/heron/kingfisher and are oblivious to it being there is quite sadening
3 February 2013, 01:14,
I see similar things all the time NR, people glued to their smartphones and not paying one iota of attention to their surroundings.Whenever i enter an urban area, even during broad daylight, i pay very close attention to what is going on around me, and always have a plan in my head of what to do if someone tries to to rob/attack me.
3 February 2013, 11:28,
In London each MONTH over 10,000 cell phones snatched from the hands of victims in robberys, yes that is 10,000 !!!! every blasted month and the govt tries to blind us with lies saying crime is going down in the cities. Our cities breed sheeple.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z2Jk1teJrJ

3 February 2013, 11:55,
(3 February 2013, 11:28)NorthernRaider Wrote: Our cities breed sheeple.
how true, and not just in cities,i see it all the time when i go into Barnstaple and that has a population of only 20,000- we only go there about twice a year so i tend to notice the sheeple more.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 February 2013, 23:11,
Driving my truck through Hounslow I approached a crossing and the lights were on green.There was a muppet stood in the middle of the crossing, glued to his phone. I stopped the truck, literally, 1 FOOT from him and he still never noticed and even when I beeped my horn it took him a full 2 seconds to look up and the look on his face was as if I'd just dropped out of the sky and asked him to take me to his leader. He then wandered off into the crowd, still staring at his bloody phone. Just about every day I have to beep my horn at junctions to stop idiots from walking across the road without looking. It's only because I would have to pay the first £500 for any damage on the truck that stops these people from getting a Darwin award nomination.
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same
4 February 2013, 13:55,
I usually vary my path home. Always listening out for someone walking behind me. Even though my walk home is quite crowded, I try to avoid people walking too close behind me. Never actually head home if someone has been on the same path as me for more than 5-10 minutes of my journey.
Failure is always an option.