Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realistic Barter Goods
2 February 2013, 13:41,
Realistic Barter Goods
Realistic Barter Goods
Post 5 2013 © NR
Useful barter materials that ordinary people could set aside whilst affordable and plentiful that would not break the bank, there are other far more comprehensive lists but this one just cherry picks items that very many ordinary people MAY have access to . Setting aide items than can be bartered is gaining popularity again because of the extreme poverty blighting parts of Europe and the instability of the currencies topped by the massive amounts of unemployed people in the Union.
Salt
Sugar / Honey/ molasses/ maple syrup
22 LR ammo
5.56 / 223 ammo
12 gauge ammo
.410 ammo
12 g to 410 adaptor sleeves
Treated diesel
Spirits (Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Schnapps etc)
Fixed blade working knives
Sharpening stones
Fishing hooks, lines, weights, nets
Sail cloth
Cotton canvas
Beeswax
Waterproofing wax
Paraffin / Kerosene
Cotton cloth
Antiseptic ( liquid or cream)
Antibiotics
Rope / cord/ twine / paracord.
Salted or preserved meats
Live chooks / rabbits/ goats/ pigs/ ponies/ mules
Bridlary / tack
Water filter candle / elements
Water purification tablets
Aspirin / Ibuprofen / Paracetamol
Leather for shoe / belt/ tack repairs
Cords of firewood
Bags of coal
Candles
Sterile medical dressings
Emergency dental kits
Iodene
Ale / lager/ beer/ mead/ cider (weak but sterile)
Balls of knitting wool
Cotton sewing yarn
Sewing and knitting needles
Baby formula
Terry nappies
Arrows and bolts
Archery bow string cord (Dacron, Dynema etc )
Arrowheads
Fletches

2 February 2013, 17:07, (This post was last modified: 2 February 2013, 17:07 by Prepper1.)
RE: Realistic Barter Goods
I couldnt see it in the list so forgive me if it is and I missed it but Selco in his survival stuff said antibiotics, toilet paper and antibacterial handwash were worth their weight in gold. Oh and coffee.

Lifes little luxuries....
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
2 February 2013, 17:51,
I'm not giving anyone any ammo or weapons as a barter item.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 February 2013, 20:50,
I'm with SD on that one. Although ill happily trade stuff FOR them.
2 February 2013, 21:01,
(2 February 2013, 17:51)Skean Dhude Wrote: I'm not giving anyone any ammo or weapons as a barter item.

I would, but not locally, only at RVs far from home.

2 February 2013, 21:11,
It would be interesting to fine-tune and rank the list by probable value AND size / ease of storage. (i.e. the smallest, most probably valuable items go to the top of the list). Realistically, many people won't have space to store a reasonable supply of personal preps AND sufficient goods to barter, so going for the small stuff will help in this regard.

As NR says, this is already starting to happen in parts of Europe:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan...rty-crisis
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
2 February 2013, 21:39,
Paracetamol/asprin and ibuprofen in the plastic potts at 19p a pot there invaluable, be able to trade them for a much higher price post shtf, but everyday items like toothpaste should be stocked up on. Antibiotics will be worth a small fortune but 1. There a nibghtmare to get 2. Short shelf life
2 February 2013, 22:27,
My wife has started making her own toothpaste from a recipe reccomended to her by a lady at the 2010 WG, or from a recipe BPs missus sent, cannot remember which.

2 February 2013, 22:42,
Be good if BP could post recipe...if he has,nt already
3 February 2013, 01:17, (This post was last modified: 3 February 2013, 01:18 by Scythe13.)
Considering MANY preppers refuse to make contact with other people (BP, looking your way mate) it seems odd for those to look into barter items haha.

I think antibiotics with be highest value, in my opinion.

As for ammo, I honestly think you'd be insane or retarded to swap that. Even if you have spare ammo and no gun to shoot it with, you can make some stunning land mines with a bit of tube, wooden base, a pin, and a bullet! Pretty good home defence system....blow a hole in the foot of the intruder! Bet it's pretty effective.

If someone wants to swap me some ammo, I'd to the deal, then use it to kill them and get my items back haha.

Ordinary people don't have FAC's, so I'm a bit suspect on the ammo thing anyway.

However, as for a link to another thread, vitamin and mineral tablets would be a VERY helpful barter item.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin