Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emp
7 February 2013, 19:50,
Emp
The recent chatter about solar EMPs has prompted this thread,... I really would like some views,.. some clarification if possible on just what will, and what will not work after a massive solar flare.

I have read hundreds of pieces on this subject, and am still not 100% sure of what we will have left working,... I know there might not be a 100% answer, but views would be welcome

We do hear about cars not working for instance, yet the piece below said there is no worry, as do many others, [quote] Faraday cages are not relevant for solar storms for anyone at ground level, Solar storms will not destroy your car [ at least none that have occurred in the last million years,.. unquote] ...I like the item I have linked here,.. have a read and see what you think

I have thought about this a while,.. I have things like HF radio, CB, batteries solar panel, and chargers all in Faraday cages, I have a kick start Quad bike because I think they might still be running, as will generators, these have little to fry as such,

Would really like some answers

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html
A major part of survival is invisibility.
7 February 2013, 20:50,
RE: Emp
Who knows. The problem is, we haven't really experienced one at present time, with all the sophisticated electronics that are around now. So, the kit isn't battle-tested.

I was listening to an article on the radio this afternoon about a new breed of satellite being developed in the UK that basically has a mobile phone at its core for control from Earth. The point they were making is that the electronics going into these devices are getting more and more robust, due largely to having to withstand the stupid things people do with them (exposure to high temperatures, moisture, leaving them on top of speakers, etc), so your average smartphone should be able to withstand the conditions outside the atmosphere in a satellite.

So, as said, who knows? I'm assuming the worst though. We don't need electricity for heating or cooking, we don't use satnav and we don't rely on ATMs. If the fridge and freezer go, we'll eat the contents and live without them.

(Sorry this isn't a definitive answer).
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
7 February 2013, 21:04,
I'm trying to play safe so for example though I recently installed a new CH boiler which like all new boilers is electronically controlled and ignited so I also had an Aga wood burning stove fitting in the lounge and hope to get a portable wood burning at a later date (We do have a Calor gas portable fire and calor portable cooker as back up plus 6 x 7KG bottles).

I have candles but not lanterns cos I cannot find affordable decent candle lanterns (Sid?)

We recently bough a stainless steel kettle we can use on the cookers or the stove and we recently bought a three piece stainless steel steam cooker which goes on the gas or wood stove to replace the electrical powered steamer.

I've just ordered an 80watt PV panel which eventually will be used to charge two 12vDC deep cycles batteries to run an LED light setup and to recharge phones, radios, laptops etc

I've got my Berkfield water filter plus spare filter candles so my water supply is secure.

I currently have no backup in place to power my freezers

Oh yes , I printed off all the important prepper info articles rather than leave em in my PC, I dont know what else I can really do, A CME wont affect vehicles unlike an EMP so mobility.

We have to take SENSIBLE precaution that we can all afford but at some point we have to say " Thats it I cannot do any more"

7 February 2013, 21:46,
Without real answers I am also assuming the worst, it does mean paying out money for things we hope we will never need,.. but its also good to know that we have the means to charge batteries and communicate all in faraday cages, hell we even carry around hand held radios to work wrapped in cardboard and foil, and in 10 inch metal money boxes just in case something happens while we are at work.

I would be happier if I knew the answer to the generator,..and more importantly the kick start Quad though,..I understand that a general view is that cars before 1976 [ I think ] will probably be ok, because they have less to be damaged,... so I hoping that a kick start Quad will also be ok.

This for me this is one of the top threats we face, from either a bomb or flare,..and the civil unrest that will result
7 February 2013, 22:08,
Military communications are allegedly hardened against it, but civilian gear is not.

Mitigation measures off the top of my noggin:

1. Upload all your vital computer files to one or more servers on the other side of the world. Encrypt anything that's sensitive first.

2. Make printed / written copies of all contact details, including phone numbers (in case some phones might survive it).

3. Scan and make printed copies of all vital documents i.e. passports, DLs, etc.

4. Also backup computer files (documents, pictures, music) to CDs. While CD players might get their circuits burned out, the disks themselves should be unaffected.

5. Improvise a Faraday Cage for anything that you might desperately want to work post EMP, for example, small radio inside an old microwave oven.
7 February 2013, 22:48, (This post was last modified: 7 February 2013, 22:50 by NorthernRaider.)
(7 February 2013, 21:46)Highlander Wrote: I would be happier if I knew the answer to the generator,..and more importantly the kick start Quad though,..I understand that a general view is that cars before 1976 [ I think ] will probably be ok, because they have less to be damaged,... so I hoping that a kick start Quad will also be ok.

Genny can be used if its a hand started diesel, you just store the alternator in a metal box faraday cage.

Quads, Mules and Vans can be protected easily if they are older types with mechanical fuel lift and injection pumps, bit harder if they are newer by storing a spare electic lift pump and fuel cutoff solonoid in a faraday age, Even petrol quads can be done by storing a spare ignition module, battery etc in a faraday cage OR storing the quad off the floor in a well sealed shipping container cos IT is a faraday cage by default.

A Faraday cage is just a big metal box and anything inside it not touching the walls, roof or floor is insulated from EMP I believe, so your UV5Rs in a biccy tin or your motor in a shipping container should technically be safe??

7 February 2013, 23:29,
The stuff I want protected are in metal dustbins, research has told me that this is one of the best affordable faraday cages we could have,.. line the bin with cardboard,.. everything in side it is first wrapped in cardboard, for instance its own box,.. then wrapped in tin foil, so that each item is double wrapped,...lots of the smaller items are also in biscute tins,......... then the metal lid is put on and sealed with allumium [sp] tape

I do plan to buy extra parts for the Quad, it is an older kick start [1997 I think ] and faraday those parts, I think the main thing to save is the ignition and a battery,..I would love to have a shipping container, but alas they are just a bit expensive
10 February 2013, 07:54,
In my preperations I am looking at existing without electricity. I was fortunate in being born in a house with electricity,but my elder sisters and brothers had to live for many years with gaslight. I am planning to return to the old ways,rushlights if necessary. A return to boiling filthy clothes in a wash tub etc.. I will live as my ancestors live if I have to. I shall grow food and herbs forage and hunt. Fishing will be important as well towards my survival. I will depend on trapping and longlining for these things, this will allow for the other chores. Keeping my body clean will be a very important part of my life to ward off infections from lice,etc. Kenneth Eames.
10 February 2013, 10:43,
(10 February 2013, 07:54)Kenneth Eames Wrote: In my preperations I am looking at existing without electricity. I was fortunate in being born in a house with electricity,but my elder sisters and brothers had to live for many years with gaslight. I am planning to return to the old ways,rushlights if necessary. A return to boiling filthy clothes in a wash tub etc.. I will live as my ancestors live if I have to. I shall grow food and herbs forage and hunt. Fishing will be important as well towards my survival. I will depend on trapping and longlining for these things, this will allow for the other chores. Keeping my body clean will be a very important part of my life to ward off infections from lice,etc. Kenneth Eames.

you are so right Kenneth, anyone who CANT live without electricity, freezers, fridges, washing machines and dishwashers just isnt going to survive post SHTF.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.