Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepping, starting to change my mind
8 February 2013, 14:16,
RE: Prepping, starting to change my mind
NR thank you for the explanation. It must be a big blow to find out that what you are trying to escape from is going to be re-located on your doorstep after all the effort you've put in.

The ideal for many people is moving somewhere totally remote, but the hard reality of life is that for most of us this is just a dream that we will not be able to realise anytime soon.
conscius et paratum
8 February 2013, 14:34,
I dont think totally remote is feasable, practical or desirable, but a rural community that is unlikely to be lumbered with a large new estate may be the best choice, Like it or not for most of us there are times when we may want or need to avail ourselves of the services in a city, we also dont want to live so far our getting fuel or delivered goods is not prohibitively expensive, plus most of us have kids to get to school college and of course most of us have to travel to work. I believe cities are no go areas to live in cept in the most dire of circumstances, the burbs are going the same way, problem is white flight and professional class mass migration is directly competing with us for rural places to live. Sadly many of the white flighters move out then start demanding to councils provide the services and facilities from the city, which defeats the obect of being out of town. I'm keeping a weather eye on how things progress I accept that my spot aint perfect but its not all bad Smile

8 February 2013, 14:47,
I wonder if there is any such thing as a perfect BOL? It seems that there will always be some degree of compromise. We just have to do the best we can with what we have available.
conscius et paratum
8 February 2013, 14:51,
(8 February 2013, 14:47)Digger Wrote: I wonder if there is any such thing as a perfect BOL? It seems that there will always be some degree of compromise. We just have to do the best we can with what we have available.

Yeah a depopulated Jersey or Gurnsey would suit me fine, or if I needed total isolation from say a pandemic Kerguelen would be fine

8 February 2013, 14:58,
Ha ha! Its nice to dream, just make sure your're not one of the de-populates.
conscius et paratum
8 February 2013, 15:01, (This post was last modified: 8 February 2013, 15:02 by Prepper1.)
(8 February 2013, 13:42)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(8 February 2013, 13:10)David075 Wrote:
(8 February 2013, 12:59)NorthernRaider Wrote: Would not be so bad if we could choose who follows us out the cities but because there are still some available council houses out here they are moving chavs, immigrants, etc out here and abandoning them and of course they instantly turn destructive.

What about a move to one of the Scottish isles then ? if you don't want to be to far away then arran or millport ?

Already looking into it Smile may be a step to far for us but a move further north is being explored, AL is nagging me to visit his AOO to check it out.

P1 I thought the JW had a few erm Retreats or rest / education/ residential places out in the boonies because they encourage their bretheren to get closing to jehova through nature, thats why they are so iffy about many modern medical practices, Shirley your good lady would be closer to her prophet / maker if she moved away from the cities ??? ( not very well up on religion TBH )

Cheers for that.
Errrm, Same as myself regarding religion, apparently they do have some places but they wont defend themselves so I heard.
If after an event people came and tried to take stuff they'd just let them!!
NOT TO MY LIKING AT ALL.....
And one man band security trying to defend 100's that don't want to be defended is a bit iffy....
I know I'm good but....

Once they "catch" religion, trust me they go a bit funny, Its a strange thing to see....
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
8 February 2013, 15:03,
I turn the other cheek but only to improve my aiming point Smile

8 February 2013, 15:05,
Hey ho that's life...
Sometimes things change, I dont care if it ends up being just me and one or both of my boys...
I will survive....
Que eye of the tiger theme.....
8 February 2013, 15:06,
Its time we started the British church of the holy survivalist, donations and virgins welcome ( wont get much of a response from Scotland on donations, and Liverpool,Teesside, Bristol, Leicester, Slough, etc have never seen a vigin over 10 years old in decades either Smile )

8 February 2013, 15:08,
Its got its bonuses...
I'll just pick up stray pole dancers to repopulate the planet with...
Its my duty see...

I don't want too, but to thrive....its necessary...
I wouldn't take pleasure in it...honest....