Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Prepping Lite, NR’s evolving approach.
10 February 2013, 21:23,
Cant remember if I actually posted this before, sorry if i did.

© NR 2012

I have spent a great deal of time over the last 30 plus years as a prepper / survivalist planning and getting ready for various life changing scenarios including the risk of Global Nuclear War, Total Economic Collapse, Mass Pandemic, Mass Starvation, Complete failure of the power grid, etc.

Today I see the world as every bit as dangerous as it was back in the late seventies and perhaps even more dangerous in some aspects, but part of my attitude is changing. I am now starting to think that even though the world is much smaller these days and its market places much more closely integrated and interdependent I now feel more than ever that any major threat or catastrophe is more likely to be regional or multi regional rather than global in effect.

I no longer believe in TEOTWAWKI per se and now believe in THE END OF EUROPE-AWKI or THE END OF CHEAP FUEL-AWKI. Basically the point is I think that catastrophes will still happen but I now think it is more likely to be Europe wide, or Middle East wide or North America wide, and though I accept that secondary effects from say a collapsing US would lead to major damage to Europe I don’t think the effects will be as extreme in the secondary areas as in the primary area.

I do see an increasing risk from severe weather incidents though the CAUSAL factors are still undetermined, IE I do see a bigger threat from floods, hurricanes, storms, droughts, ice storms, torrential rain etc but I still am not settled on what is causing it. And at the end of the day it’s not the CAUSE I need to be concerned with (which I have no control over) just the EFFECTS and how I can best mitigate the effects.

So overall I see an increased risk from SHORT TERM events such as winter storms, terrorist outrages, industrial action, civil unrest, droughts, floods, epidemics, power shortages and specific item food shortages, and less of a threat from WW3, Mega tsunamis, Islamic crusades against the west etc and I intend to adapt my plans and tailor them to meet those more varied, localized but shorter term events.

For me individually it means

Keeping a minimum of 6 months of food not the planned 2 years’ worth
Keeping less stored water but increased PORTABLE water filtration capability
Keeping slightly less stored vehicle fuels, but MORE domestic heating fuels
Keeping expanded medical supplies but maintaining current level of prescription items
Not trying to keep enough clothing and footwear to last 30 years, instead keeping only a few years’ worth instead.
Accepting the increased vulnerability of the power grids and generating systems and putting in place better short term solar and wind back up power supplies.
Accepting that domestic gang, ethnic and Islamic violence is increasing and improving my family’s personal security arrangements.
Accepting that efforts to develop trusted working links with other preppers has failed and focus on trying to develop links ONLY with LOCAL Preppers, Off-gridders, Sustainable Community and Small holder type families.

Developing more short term or interim plans to general prepping issues rather than focus on long term or major alternative issues.

Take a more localized approach to prepping instead of trying to be effective nationally.

I am now thinking that short term localized (national not Europe wide or Global) threats are the greater threat and thus the effects of localized problems should be less and over a shorter time period and not permanent.

10 February 2013, 22:13,
RE: Prepping Lite, NR’s evolving approach.
I have always thought that the threats are more likely to be regional than global, but that doesn't mean that they will be short lived, I agree they are far more likely to be short lived, but I would never prep with that in mind.

how long is a short term event????,... I would say longer than 6 months,..its not just the event itself, lets say that the social order breaks down in southern England, and to everyone's relief its all over in five months, during that time all hell broke loose and much of the infrastructure was destroyed,... would the people further north get food distribution as early as one month later?

The point I am making is that its ok to think that a threat would only last 6 months, but there is nothing to stop you storing for two years,... who knows, some big guy might come along and take two months supplies from you, or some of your supplies get damaged/ruined,...then what?

I am a prepper who preps for the worst and hopes for the best
A major part of survival is invisibility.
10 February 2013, 22:21,
To add to HL's comment, check out NY right now. Most hasn't recovered from Sandy, but now the snow storms merging....

I get your point, but would still prefer 2 years guaranteed storage to 6 months.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 February 2013, 19:23,
It's an interesting evolution NR... But in IMO you should keep prepping the way you are...Imagine cutting back on everything and then finding yourself coming up short in a crisis...Gutted!
Respect existence or expect resistance!
11 February 2013, 19:33,
Funds are getting horrendously tight so cutbacks have to be made.

11 February 2013, 19:45,
Hang on...30 years worth of clothing!!! Blimey your place must look like primark (no offence) And your going to look like a right twat in clothes that were fashionable thirty years ago!
I can picture you now...stalking your prey through the dense undergrowth of a Northern forest....getting closer and closer...and then suddenly snagging your purple flares on a tree root before falling over and impaling yourself on your ten inch shirt collars!
Respect existence or expect resistance!
11 February 2013, 20:04,
(11 February 2013, 19:45)Ghost Wrote: Hang on...30 years worth of clothing!!! Blimey your place must look like primark (no offence) And your going to look like a right twat in clothes that were fashionable thirty years ago!
I can picture you now...stalking your prey through the dense undergrowth of a Northern forest....getting closer and closer...and then suddenly snagging your purple flares on a tree root before falling over and impaling yourself on your ten inch shirt collars!

An exageration of course, but I did / do bulk buy stuff like T shirts, polo shirts, cargo pants I bought 10 assorted colours of Craghopper Kiwi cargos on offer at £18 a pair , Karrimor Summit approach shoes ( I bought six pairs at £20 a pair), Hey leave my purple flares out of it i only wear with with my platforms when I go to Northern Soul reunion gigs. Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2NySUcbv3w
Northern Raiders Northern Soul Smile Laugh if you will but SD likes doing the Lambada.

11 February 2013, 20:10, (This post was last modified: 11 February 2013, 20:14 by Barneyboy.)
(11 February 2013, 19:45)Ghost Wrote: Hang on...30 years worth of clothing!!! Blimey your place must look like primark (no offence) And your going to look like a right twat in clothes that were fashionable thirty years ago!

nice one made me giggleBig Grin

(11 February 2013, 20:04)NorthernRaider Wrote:

An exageration of course, but I did / do bulk buy stuff like T shirts, polo shirts, cargo pants I bought 10 assorted colours of Craghopper Kiwi cargos on offer at £18 a pair , Karrimor Summit approach shoes ( I bought six pairs at £20 a pair), Hey leave my purple flares out of it i only wear with with my platforms when I go to Northern Soul reunion gigs. Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2NySUcbv3w
Northern Raiders Northern Soul Smile Laugh if you will but SD likes doing the Lambada.

what the bloody hell was that ,i just OD on flares
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
11 February 2013, 20:24, (This post was last modified: 11 February 2013, 20:26 by NorthernRaider.)
If you want to live dont you dare have a go at my cheese cloth shirts, fred perrys and tank tops Smile

Sigh, the early seventies, great music, great clubs, and 1971 was the last time SD bought a round.Smile

11 February 2013, 20:32, (This post was last modified: 11 February 2013, 20:33 by Barneyboy.)
(11 February 2013, 20:24)NorthernRaider Wrote: If you want to live dont you dare have a go at my cheese cloth shirts, fred perrys and tank tops Smile

Sigh, the early seventies, great music, great clubs, and 1971 was the last time SD bought a round.Smile

i had to go to the bath room and wash my eyes Smile

(11 February 2013, 20:32)Barneyboy Wrote:
(11 February 2013, 20:24)NorthernRaider Wrote: If you want to live dont you dare have a go at my cheese cloth shirts, fred perrys and tank tops Smile

i had to go to the bath room and wash my eyes Smile

1971 was the year i was born
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!