Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Reluctant Outlaw
10 February 2013, 21:26,
The Reluctant Outlaw
Cant remember if I posted this before, if I did sorry.

The Reluctant Outlaw
© NR 2013

Most if not all preppers seek to live lawfully, peacefully, quietly and constructively as they possibly can, but the world we live in is changing and its changing fast and not always to our benefit. Our political leaders are under growing pressure to deal with vital issue after vital issue at an increasingly alarming rate and their responses are often wrong, badly thought out, ineffective or simply compound the problems we already face. I see the EU/ UK/ US/UN and other major bodies following a sticking plaster policy of trying to fix massive problems to our societies and nations by putting a plaster onto a broken limb or huge open wound.

Immigration is causing huge social and logistical problems in Europe and the US.
Violent crime is increasing as are gang crime and religious extremism
Essential resources such as food and fuel are becoming unaffordable for many Europeans
Natural resources are becoming depleted and many countries becoming desperately short of everything from homes, clean water, enough electricity, not enough roads, gridlocked railways and transport systems, grossly over stretched health and education systems. In the south of Europe long term unemployment now runs at 25% ( 50% for young people) In EU countries middle class families are living on the streets and relying on food banks for food, our elderly often must choose between fuel for heating or food, our nations are sliding into an enormous black hole of debt that will be dumped onto our children.

The problems out leaders face are immense and growing, and the net end result regardless of the problem is many governments are trying to prevent civil unrest and dissatisfaction by implementing ever more draconian laws and restrictions on our rights and liberties. I fear these restrictions are now becoming dangerously close to us living in many cases in either police or totalitarian states.

We are all aware of the recent rafts of laws that address hate / racism etc which now have managed to morph into anyone who objects to mass migration into their homeland being vilified as a racist or extremist by the left wing dominated governments. But worse we have seen gun control laws being introduced under the guise of fighting crime and terrorism but in reality are more to do with the state maintaining its grip on society. We also see insane restrictions on knife ownership, how much butane or propane you store at home, what medicines you may purchase even crazy rules limiting people having BBQs on beaches and in woodlands. We read of incidents where an errant child’s immature criminal act see’s the entire family being evicted from their home.
We read of people getting greater fines in the courts for putting the rubbish in the wrong bin or putting the bin out on the wrong day than they would get if they had robbed a corner shop.

We see thousands of motorists held in manmade traffic jams for over 12 hours just so the police can investigate the scene of a car crash and any motorist trying to escape the said traffic chaos being fined heavily.

We read of youngsters with absolutely no facilities for leisure available to them being hunted by police on motorcycles and in helicopters for daring riding quad bikes on waste ground or going rabbit hunting with air rifles.

I put it to you that this constant drip of restrictive laws is by default driving the free thinking, self-reliant, apolitical, self-sufficient strongly independent people of the survivalist / prepper / off –gridder / small holder / Eco community types of people into being classed as criminals and outlaws.

Whilst the sheeple grumble about CCTV, Travel restrictions, limitations on gun and knife ownership, constraints on buying medicines, limits on how much food or fuel you can store, licensing of people canning their own food, restrictions on people generating their own power or filtering their own water they never actually get around to telling the authorities or government “NO this is one restriction too much”.

Heck we now even find ourselves in a politically correct world where Boy Scouts and Girl Guides are prohibited from carrying pocket knives even at camp, and are banned from lighting camp fires !!!!

As government and burocrats flounder around blindly trying to hold a society together that has 40% to many people, 20% to few empty homes, 25% short of decent life improving jobs, 30% shortages of locally produced food, nearly 70% in places not enough locally produced energy they fail to see our society going the same way as most previous civilizations……. Into terminal decline.

I don’t know how our current westernized society will end, I do think it will unravel sooner rather than later, I don’t think it will be one spectacular event rather a steady decline into total collapse but I am sure the state will leave millions of people to fend entirely for themselves as the rich, powerful and influential withdraw into secure gated communities to be well protected from the ire of the millions of people they failed.

So where does that leave us the reluctant outlaws?

I think it leaves us obliged to think very carefully about our children’s futures, for one they won’t have much of a future living in dying cities filled with violent gangs and desperate benefit dependant people.

I do believe we have an obligation to ensure our children have A future in a very uncertain world and that future is going to focus very much on being as self-reliant as possible. And it’s likely to be outside the structured but dying society we inhabit now.

We need to be living NOW or striving NOW to be more self-sufficient and proficient in basic skills and crafts.

We NEED to be growing a percentage of our own food
We NEED to be generating a percentage of our own power
We NEED to be semi sufficient in water harvesting
We NEED to be as OFF-GRID as possible
We NEED to be able to HUNT and FORAGE for ourselves
We NEED to be capable of protecting ourselves
WE NEED essential skills from carpentry, leatherwork, ironwork, saddelry, cloth making,food growing, animal husbandry, house repair skills, vehicle repair skills, hedge laying, fence building, coppicing, hunting, fishing, sailing, horse riding, etc etc but we NEED those traditional skills mastering now before the event and not after because by then it may be too late.

All our children should, could, must be taught essential skills as soon as they are old enough, They need to be able to navigate , they need to be able to hunt with bow and air rifle, they need to know how to start a fire, they need to know how to cook, they need to learn first aid, they need to know how to live independently, they need to know how to fix things, they need to know and be experienced at the safe handling and use of a knife etc

We NEED to impart in them those essential skills that will allow them to thrive and flourish whilst those around them fail.

If guns are banned totally then the only option left to ourselves and our kids is to master bows in order to feed ourselves and protect ourselves, I cannot see how a KNIFE ban could ever be implemented but the governments are trying to ban most knife types from most urban communities, that is something we must ignore as the safe handling, use and possession of a decent knife is a lifesaving art we must never give up even if we become outlaws in the process.

11 February 2013, 00:18,
RE: The Reluctant Outlaw
i agree 100%
11 February 2013, 03:00,
Even though I agree with this threat, you are telling people that if the law changes a certain way, to go against the law. For your own good, get SD to edit the thread.

Great post though.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 February 2013, 20:06,
there is a point where one just doesnt want to sit down and shut up any longer.
I agree that we have to practice these skills. I've met so many people who think a collapse of some kind is likely and when I gently ask what they'll do when the stores are empty they reply," Oh, I'll catch wild animals or fish , grow a garden, do what I need to do." meanwhile they have no idea how to do these things. its amazing, when the SHTF all these jokers are magically going to do all these things they never tried before. I've been growing food for a while and it aint easy to get good results. Yeah anyone can put a seed in the ground - thats a long way from producing food. I've had plants look great- then all die within about 10 days. In survival mode that would be devastating.
27 February 2013, 21:43,
hence a very large die off when they find they can do none of the above!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 February 2013, 22:30,
says it all for me....great post
27 February 2013, 22:36,
I suppose that does make me a reluctant outlaw since some of the trapping I may have done (its illegal in my area). But no one would miss a few squirrels, birds, racoons, possums, etc. Quite easy to make a lightweight snare, catching something is entirely different. or so i've been told.

Back to the reluctant outlaw, thats how I view resistance as things get worse. As mentioned in the original post, we have to think about the future we are leaving our kids. Do we want to be living in an Orwellian nightmare and our kids look at us and say." why didnt you do something while you still could?" I do not.

what do you think?
27 February 2013, 22:59,
always on about guns being banned heres a thought what happens if all weapons are banned ie bows crossbows even catapaults wot then ???

bd
27 February 2013, 23:02,
I've got to print this out!

Thanks
Where the senses fail us, reason must step in.
Galileo Galilei
27 February 2013, 23:14,
(27 February 2013, 22:59)bowdrill Wrote: always on about guns being banned heres a thought what happens if all weapons are banned ie bows crossbows even catapaults wot then ???

bd

It couldn't possibly be done

For a start, there are thousands of jobs that couldn't be done without guns, secondly, we don't have the authorities to deal with such a bann, thirdly, how could they possibly monitor either guns or crossbows, let alone catapults

..... but lets just say for argument that they were all banned tomorrow, nothing would happen, legal guns would disappear in many cases, certain animals would become overpopulated and damage the infrastructure of the countryside, damaging crops and bankrupting large estates,... the criminals would still have their weapons, the likes of us would hide them away,.. no-one knows who owns crossbows so they have no starting point

There would be countless obsticals,... it simply couldn't happen
A major part of survival is invisibility.