Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Respect for other members - specifically those in a suburban area
11 February 2013, 11:42,
RE: Respect for other members - specifically those in a suburban area
Naaa its in context, thanks for an enjoyable debate, BTW I can get to Crimdon Dean beach in 14 minute Smile Smile 10 if I'm on my motorbike

11 February 2013, 11:56,
I live in the city - just moved further into the center. Not cause I wanted to, but it's closer to the hospital so the wife can walk to work, saves her 2.5 hours a day on the bus. Do I like it? Not really, no. Are we safe? Yeah, fairly. For now anyway. Yes, it would be superb to up sticks and move out into the middle of nowhere, but it's not feasible if you need a job. Can't rent a house with no income. This is why we have a list of viable BOL's surrounding the city, and quick routes to get out on foot. And plans to meet up with other preppers (not just the MSG members) further afield should anything occur. I can also leave by sea, and have a location or two I would be welcome in on the Isle of Wight. Being in a city isn't all that bad - as long as you have a plan to get out
11 February 2013, 12:04,
Reducing the threat to your wifes safety from crime or terrorism or germs spread on public transport by moving closer to her job is first rate common sense prepping, Wise prepping is making the best of what you have got and your example typifies that. Most crime of late especially towards female commuters appears to happen during the commute, So you did exactly what I would do if faced with those same circumstances.

In my own wifeys cases we are trying to cut her commute into the city by trying to get her office moved to one of the rural community hospitals nearer home, after all shes a community based nurse so her office does not have to be in the city. Its just persuading her bosses to let her grab an office out of town.

11 February 2013, 12:25,
i dont care where other people live, that is their problem and their business, everyone has their own reasons for living where they are, in my case i married a country girl who hated living in the city so we moved, it suits me as i've always been a country lover even though i was born in a city(Bristol) and lived in a city(Plymouth) for most of my life, i was glad to leave the city and having lived in smaller towns for the last 14 years i would not want to go back to living in a city. each to their own i say, these are just my PERSONAL reasons for living where i do.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 February 2013, 13:30,
(11 February 2013, 12:04)NorthernRaider Wrote: Reducing the threat to your wifes safety from crime or terrorism or germs spread on public transport by moving closer to her job is first rate common sense prepping, Wise prepping is making the best of what you have got and your example typifies that. Most crime of late especially towards female commuters appears to happen during the commute, So you did exactly what I would do if faced with those same circumstances.

In my own wifeys cases we are trying to cut her commute into the city by trying to get her office moved to one of the rural community hospitals nearer home, after all shes a community based nurse so her office does not have to be in the city. Its just persuading her bosses to let her grab an office out of town.

Really with the NHS overhaul, your good wife should be offered a hot desk anywhere she chooses. There's a new phrase in our office - agile working - you might find after April the bosses are going to be a lot more inclined to offer an office as close to home as possible. Jobs in Leeds are on offer to me living down south. Have to go to leeds once a month, but I can work from any NHS office really, the closer to home the better!
Moving into the city really wasn't my first choice, but the wife is the one with the permanent job, so sacrifices have to be made. And the childminder is just round the corner, nice and close to home. I made sure we picked a house that is fairly well defensible, 270 degree field of fire from the bay window on the corner (top and bottom) on the corner of a normal road and a dead end road too (about 8 houses deep) with a huge open area behind the houses, currently closed to the public, that used to be a playing field. Plenty of escape routes. We did find a brilliant old house on the outskirts on Winchester / Romsey but the owner only wanted tenants for 9 months as he was demolishing the property to build 12 houses Angry The cottage was very cool, had basement and everything. Now that's going to be replaced with some horrid modern buildings. Bloody property developers - almost as bad as Parking Nazi's and estate agents in my book.
11 February 2013, 14:13,
Main point of being a city dweller is to tell the country folk when it kicks off and to batten down the hatches :p
11 February 2013, 14:22,
(11 February 2013, 14:13)Metroyeti Wrote: Main point of being a city dweller is to tell the country folk when it kicks off and to batten down the hatches :p

Yeah as the urban preppers get wiped out and go quiet we will know which way the trouble is spreading.Smile

11 February 2013, 14:28,
Bear in mind that when we talk about ideal dsituations we all talk about remoteness and privacy. However not everyone wants that and we all make our own minds up about what is our ideal retreat.

However, this is tempered with a lot of reality. many of us have jobs family and by necessity live in or near cities. We do not have the resources to move out of town or are unable to for other reason, kids, parents. Thus we all define what our retreat choices are based on finances and situation.

We all then set our own level of preps and prepare for that.

It really does amaze me how many little arguments I see on here because someone does not suddenly change their plans because of someone elses comments. It suits them so it must suit everyone else. It isn't even a big argument its more of a well you asked for advice but you ignore it when I pass it on.

In many ways survival is like finances. We all are on different salaries but that is the easy part. The difficult part is what to spend your money on. We would all agree that spending 50% of your remaining income, after taxes, bills, etc. on flowers is a silly thing to do. But people have done. You may not agree that giving Fido the most expensive food is right but others on here would. You may think that buying a jeep is the right way to go because you have seven in your family and not enough money to have two vehicles others think it is worthwhile.

What I want to see, and it takes place in a land far far away, is where someone asks a question and the question is both answered directly with facts, with additional comments such as have you thought of this. and then a discussion continues till everyone understands the situation that is best for their unique situation. Everyone is happy and nobody goes off in the huff because someone else isn't selling their prized Harley Davidson because they think it is the best thing to do.

Sort yourself out from the information and don't try and force your views on people. As I have said before we are mainly Alpha males and we know what is best. Then we try and impose this on others and that is exactly what is wrong with central government. People who don't know the full story making others conform to their choices.

In saying that it isn't too bad here but it is annoying to see a little flare up like this every now and again. Will it ever stop? I doubt it but as long as it doesn't degenerate it is the best we can hope for.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 February 2013, 14:48, (This post was last modified: 11 February 2013, 14:52 by NorthernRaider.)
wot he said.

Sigh, gone are the simply heady days of yore when the best decision making you would get from a Geordie was stuff like " do I want Fed or Newkey" and " is it true that Sunderland really are the better football team answer Yes or Wye aye".

11 February 2013, 15:25,
The best possible location that I've come up with is on a wide beam canal boat. 55 feet long, 10 feet wide. Can move them wherever you want (on a canal anyway) and you could possible get it out on the sea in an emergency. If you had 2 other families on there then you could strap them together and test the waters out in the channel (not that you'd want to go to France)
Cheaper than buying a house, and 99% are off-grid ready with battery banks, solar panels, wood burners etc. Just a shame they're so bloody expensive.