Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Respect for other members - specifically those in a suburban area
11 February 2013, 15:39,
RE: Respect for other members - specifically those in a suburban area
(11 February 2013, 15:25)BeardyMan Wrote: The best possible location that I've come up with is on a wide beam canal boat. 55 feet long, 10 feet wide.
i'm no sailor, hate the water, but what strikes me is canals arent that wide, and you could get stuck inside a lock where you would make a sitting target!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 February 2013, 15:47,
(11 February 2013, 14:48)NorthernRaider Wrote: wot he said.

Sigh, gone are the simply heady days of yore when the best decision making you would get from a Geordie was stuff like " do I want Fed or Newkey" and " is it true that Sunderland really are the better football team answer Yes or Wye aye".

Yeah mate, we've gained a little more intelligence since then. Something i thank the thatcher/major govt for. Obviously they came along too late in life for the cavemen you refer to.
11 February 2013, 15:54,
(11 February 2013, 15:39)bigpaul Wrote:
(11 February 2013, 15:25)BeardyMan Wrote: The best possible location that I've come up with is on a wide beam canal boat. 55 feet long, 10 feet wide.
i'm no sailor, hate the water, but what strikes me is canals arent that wide, and you could get stuck inside a lock where you would make a sitting target!

Yup, that's one of the sticking points. You'd have to recon the route VERY carefully. Be nice as a home now though. There are places you can only get to by canal too. Not many, but some are very remote - especially out in the Broads. You could get yourself on an aquaduct and sit pretty up there for a while
11 February 2013, 15:59,
(11 February 2013, 15:54)BeardyMan Wrote: Yup, that's one of the sticking points. You'd have to recon the route VERY carefully. Be nice as a home now though. There are places you can only get to by canal too. Not many, but some are very remote - especially out in the Broads. You could get yourself on an aquaduct and sit pretty up there for a while

yep, sounds great in theory, like you say would need to be checked out very thoroughly first, but that goes for anything i guess.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 February 2013, 16:21,
There was a case with a canal boat in manchester either 2011 or 12 where the poor sod who owned it was being held to ransom by a gang of youths and they emptied the loch he was in when he refused to pay.

Other than that they look awesome, but like you said beardy there expensive, dread to think how much dry docking and maintanence costs. Bbc had a show on with a lad called guy (dont remember his surname, profesional bike racer) him and his mate did one up and had a look at other feats of enginearing
11 February 2013, 16:32,
The rent for a marina space is about £5k to £6k a year (more in London evidently)
Safety certificates aren't that bad, neither is the license.
Maintenance needs to be done every 5 years I think (10 for some things).

Dry docks and the like are where the expense comes from. Having to re-black the hull etc isn't cheap.

Yeah, the bloke who got held to ransom is S.O.O.L really. Not much you can do apart from "persuade" them to leave. Wonder where you'd stand with getting a FAC living permanently in a narrow boat?
11 February 2013, 17:31,
EVERYONE knows the best location is the secret secret underground hiding base used in Team America!!! F**K YEAH!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 February 2013, 21:15,
Depends how you look at it rob, most think it would be safer out in the sticks...less people...less threat...out in the sticks YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN no help at all , a small group/gang could take you on the hop if they come across you, they only need "one" of you to use as a lever, and the same in a city..BUT should a few city dwellers get together you could well be in a better position, how long that would or could last, who knows TIME SCALE is everything , you are not where i would want to be , but in the sticks would i be better off than you.....TIME....will answer that one
11 February 2013, 22:53,
There is a huge case for many people to remain in the city anyway,... we are a lot like foxes, there is a rural kind and an urban kind, an Urban fox would find it hard to live in the country and an rural fox would probably die in the city

I know of some people who are scared of the country and couldn't survive out of town if they had every prepper tool going,...and I am fairly sure that I probably wouldn't make it in the city

Apart from that, the only other point that I would like to repeat is the one that NR made about forum members looking in, who are new,.. he is right, what is old hat to us, that could get on our nerves, is new to the new prepper,..sure I know that any thread can be searched for, but in reality, a new member isnt going to do that,... so if a subject comes up often, even one that doesnt sit right with us,... lets remember the newbie looking in
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 February 2013, 09:48,
i'll refer to a book by justin thyme: countdown:a guide to surviving the urban apocalypse. Amazon £13.57. i quote" every city is an ARTIFICIAL construct, cities formed as people came together to conduct business, participate in social interaction, benefit from efficiencies in public services(schools,sewers, water etc), yet cities CANNOT survive alone, they need resourses from the countryside, notably food and water, the acreage needed for food dictates NO city could possibly feed its own people, in the world today there are 20 cities with populations of over 10 million people"