Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Respect for other members - specifically those in a suburban area
12 February 2013, 09:52,
RE: Respect for other members - specifically those in a suburban area
citys are fine when all is working ,but when the shtf its not the place to be me thinks
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
12 February 2013, 10:09,
(12 February 2013, 09:52)Barneyboy Wrote: citys are fine when all is working ,but when the shtf its not the place to be me thinks

thats it, Barney me old mucker, you've got it in a nutshell!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 February 2013, 10:31,
Metropolis are Necropolis in Waiting.

12 February 2013, 10:32,
(12 February 2013, 10:31)NorthernRaider Wrote: Metropolis are Necropolis in Waiting.

agreed.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 February 2013, 10:44,
(12 February 2013, 09:48)bigpaul Wrote: i'll refer to a book by justin thyme: countdown:a guide to surviving the urban apocalypse. Amazon £13.57. i quote" every city is an ARTIFICIAL construct, cities formed as people came together to conduct business, participate in social interaction, benefit from efficiencies in public services(schools,sewers, water etc), yet cities CANNOT survive alone, they need resourses from the countryside, notably food and water, the acreage needed for food dictates NO city could possibly feed its own people, in the world today there are 20 cities with populations of over 10 million people"

Here's the clincher.

That's the reason I'm a prepper.
12 February 2013, 11:04,
The advantage cities have after the collapse is that you dont need to bury the dead they are already self contained in their concrete tombs Smile , only joking actually. I have seen in recent years some pretty natty urban prepper set ups with stuff like roof top gardens and veg plots, multi building rain capture systems, indeed one building in the states ( or Mexico) has one big heat exchanger driven by sunlight and it creates a humid environment that you can grow tropical foods in. We cannot write cities off completely but theres no avoiding the fact they have a much harder task to face during the initial die off period. But I do think a very hard effort by a conscienious urban prepper or group in plotting and identifying useful assets could create a small scale self contain community in a city.

I like the growth of city garden coops like the ones in places like Walker and some housing coops refurbishing former terraces into modern eco homes with good sized community gardens and allotments, if the will is present in the preppers is the REAL issue.

For example if a prepper is adamant he is NOT going to relocate out of the city for whatever reason, then surely to offset that it must make sense for that urban prepper to live in a house with a decent sized garden so they can part grow their own food, live in a house with a south west facing aspect so they can harvest solar energy, live in a house that can be secured, live in a house with plenty of storage etc etc that way at least they would not need to rely on luck so much.

And no this is not an attack on oppressed urban preppers its just open thinking and pushing forward sensible debate.Smile

12 February 2013, 11:49,
i can think of one thing i would be worried about in a city post SHTF and that is ARSON, granted houses can be torched in the countryside too but in the city it has greater scope to spread, seeing the riots last year made me aware of this, those people in the flats who got out with only the clothes on their backs! and then of course as NR rightly points out is DISEASE more people, more dying, more disease.
12 February 2013, 15:08,
Urban preppers do face a higher risk from disease if their is a collapse of the social infrastructure including unburied dead and no bins emptied and no water or sewage, it can be addressed though with strict hygiene protocols , Rural preppers risk is higher from conventional illnessness like bronchitus, pneumonia, septicaemia etc from the environment.

12 February 2013, 15:31,
just imagine all the unburied dead in a place like Londonistan! whats the population these days? 7, 8million? imagine a die-off of say even 25% and thats a VERY low guesstimate, so thats what 2 million corpses to deal with? dosent bear thinking about does it. not trying to prove anything-this is just me thinking out loud!
12 February 2013, 15:32,
(12 February 2013, 15:31)bigpaul Wrote: just imagine all the unburied dead in a place like Londonistan! whats the population these days? 7, 8million? imagine a die-off of say even 25% and thats a VERY low guesstimate, so thats what 2 million corpses to deal with? dosent bear thinking about does it. not trying to prove anything-this is just me thinking out loud!

Better stock up on Pot Pourri Tongue