Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second language for survival skill
11 February 2013, 18:35,
RE: Second language for survival skill
Picking up Norwegian as found out it's cheaper and easier to get to and things from Bergen and Stavanger than it is from Londonistan, so have been dealing with the Noggys more and more.
Sodomi Non Sapiens.
11 February 2013, 19:04,
I think being fluent in bullshit and bluff may improve ones chances of survival!
Respect existence or expect resistance!
11 February 2013, 19:44,
If you cant dazzle em with science baffle em with bullshit.

12 February 2013, 00:15,
English is the earth's unofficial "official" language so we're already at an advantage, almost no matter where we go.

I studied German for years and have visited Germany and Austria regularly (last time in November past) but no matter how much vocabulary and grammar you learn, it takes around 3 days before your ears get used to the rhythm of a foreign language being spoken natively and without being slowed down or dumbed down for you.

My wife is an ethnic Russian so I learned a bit of that too, and we speak it a little every day at home but English is our main language because I never had enough time to really immerse myself in Russian, or at least, not yet what with our two toddlers zipping around. We want the kids to be properly bilingual but it's not going to happen unless we move to a Russian-speaking land for a few years. Or get my mother-in-law (who speaks no English) to come and stay with us for a while.

Anyway, to the original question: if you're going to settle in a foreign country and live as a survivalist / prepper there, you simply cannot avoid the necessity of having to learn the language. If your destination of interest is, say, France, then you have the added issue of the French being exceptionally difficult towards non-fluent foreigners; they have a propensity to pretend they don't understand you if you speak with a non-French accent, as apparently mispronounced French really grates their ears. Mark Twain famously wrote of his vainglorious attempts at speaking French in Paris thusly: "I never did manage to make those idiots understand their own language".
12 February 2013, 00:20,
I always thought sign was interesting but it is useless without a deaf person around.

I find it hard to understand scottish people...well actually most northern accents so maybe i should start there Tongue

I suppose there is always chav. If you can speak that you might survive in a city
12 February 2013, 10:00,
i think sign language could be a good one to learn, i nearly learnt it once or was going too as my father was friendly with a guy who ran the local deaf school, could be handy in a post SHTF scenario when you dont want to make any noise.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 February 2013, 10:04,
(12 February 2013, 10:00)bigpaul Wrote: i think sign language could be a good one to learn, i nearly learnt it once or was going too as my father was friendly with a guy who ran the local deaf school, could be handy in a post SHTF scenario when you dont want to make any noise.

thats a good idea BP will look into that
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!