Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Education
13 February 2013, 20:14,
Home Education
Well, I have bitten the bullet and took my oldest out of school as of lunch time today. my boy is in year 10 and due to bad migraines, has missed a large segment of school and rather than help him catch up like they said they would, the school instead sent social services after me instead. If the schools priority was to have my kids taken from me instead of helping him then they werent focussing on his education and therefore shouldnt be getting the funding for him. so now they have lost the funding for him and failed in their mission to get my kids taken from me!!! but now im really nervous as its a scary thing to realise that your childs whole education is now in your hands. if nothing else, he will have caught up and hopefully be ahead if we do move to scotland where i have no problem sending him to regular school. if anyone has any ideas, experiences etc then any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
13 February 2013, 20:53,
RE: Home Education
First of all, I'd suggest Don't Panic! Congratulations on making the move. IMHO there has never been a more appropriate time to home educate your children:

1. Schools in general are becoming hell-holes of political correctness and disorder, where "teaching to the test" is the norm, and stressed-out teachers are struggling to cope. (I know this is a generalisation, but my kids went to nice schools in good areas in Hampshire, and the stories they came home with were horrendous).

2. The nature of what's needed is changing. We live in a very uncertain, fast changing World, and I don't believe a manufactured, standardised curriculum can prepare kids for that.

3. Access to information and resources has never been easier. Need to prepare your lad for GCSE's? Look the syllabus up on line. Google teaching resources. They'll all be there.

For what it's worth, I think the Scottish system is excellent, and far superior to that in England. They have Standard Grades (broadly equivalent to GCSEs), Intermediates (kind of similar to AS levels) and Highers (broadly similar to A levels). The Highers are worth fewer UCAS points (University Entrance "currency") than A-Levels, but you tend to take more of them. When we moved up, we looked at getting our youngest son into the local college to do his Highers. He had a good set of GCSEs from England. Because most of them were grade "B" or above, he was able to skip the Intermediates and go straight on to Highers (which are only one year). Something you might want to bear in mind when getting your son through his GCSEs.

I think the other huge benefit of home-educating is the sheer number of ways you can engage them in learning. No hassles about "elf and safety" when taking him out on a trip. For example, take him up to Knockan Crag, north of Ullapool, to see the Moine Thrust in action. A geography lesson, decent hike, dog walk and damn good day out in one session. Get him out on some walks with the local countryside ranger. Take him shopping and get him working on his mental maths. Spin out "what if" prepping scenarios with him, to work on his imagination and creative thinking. Log everything you do and map it to the National Curriculum, so when the Thought-Police come calling, you've got a formal record of what you've done to progress his education. Even better, get him to do it!

Hope this helps, and good luck.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
13 February 2013, 20:58,
Don't know enough to help but you have my best wishes. Good luck.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 February 2013, 21:07,
do you think you could teach all the subject at GCSE and be able to bring him up to speed for when you move and you can get him back in the education system?

the only reason I ask is that we could cover quite a lot of the different subjects as we both have high level science qualification but no chance of French from me

if you had the cash you could do the subjects your happy with but hire a tutor for the ones you are not confident with.

failing that is there another school local that he could go to?

Like SD you have my best wishes and good luck
13 February 2013, 21:20,
All i can offer is my best wishes and the very best of luck
13 February 2013, 21:25,
IKE I think that if we move soon ie in the next month or so il make him work his ass off and speak to the school he goes to to see what they are currently working to and probably get him up to speed. and for the stuff i dont know that he needs to learn then i guess we will be learning it together lol
Tarrel Thats great stuff, i wasnt too sure about how the scottish system was and those ideas about the days out are good, my other 2 will be wanting out of school at this rate lol
13 February 2013, 21:40,
IIRC there os no legal requirement for a child to go to school, but their is a legal obligation to have them educated til aged 18 so Home schooling is a valid option, I suggest you google search home schooling groups near you and if you go to yahoo groups they have some well established home schooling forums. You have nothing to fear or be concerned about your council will have a home schooling officer in the town hall wjho will help you.
NR

(13 February 2013, 20:14)Madgirl151 Wrote: Well, I have bitten the bullet and took my oldest out of school as of lunch time today. my boy is in year 10 and due to bad migraines, has missed a large segment of school and rather than help him catch up like they said they would, the school instead sent social services after me instead. If the schools priority was to have my kids taken from me instead of helping him then they werent focussing on his education and therefore shouldnt be getting the funding for him. so now they have lost the funding for him and failed in their mission to get my kids taken from me!!! but now im really nervous as its a scary thing to realise that your childs whole education is now in your hands. if nothing else, he will have caught up and hopefully be ahead if we do move to scotland where i have no problem sending him to regular school. if anyone has any ideas, experiences etc then any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

13 February 2013, 21:40,
short term you could look both look at the curriculum or the revision books you can get and see what he is missing then take it from there. If you know where your going to end up in Scotland you could get in touch with the school he'll be entering and see if they can get you some information in terms what they think your lad should know by the time he enters school.

if the your potential move is hopefully happening soon then I guess that it a little of your mind
13 February 2013, 21:42,
You can get all the current GSCE and A level curricul guides from Waterstones, but contact your local home schooling group first.
My brats go to school but we suppliment what they learn at school with a mix of home schooling, extra tuition and educational summer camps .

13 February 2013, 21:53,
do you know what exam board your son's ex school use as there can be small difference in what they teach?