Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Education
13 February 2013, 20:53,
RE: Home Education
First of all, I'd suggest Don't Panic! Congratulations on making the move. IMHO there has never been a more appropriate time to home educate your children:

1. Schools in general are becoming hell-holes of political correctness and disorder, where "teaching to the test" is the norm, and stressed-out teachers are struggling to cope. (I know this is a generalisation, but my kids went to nice schools in good areas in Hampshire, and the stories they came home with were horrendous).

2. The nature of what's needed is changing. We live in a very uncertain, fast changing World, and I don't believe a manufactured, standardised curriculum can prepare kids for that.

3. Access to information and resources has never been easier. Need to prepare your lad for GCSE's? Look the syllabus up on line. Google teaching resources. They'll all be there.

For what it's worth, I think the Scottish system is excellent, and far superior to that in England. They have Standard Grades (broadly equivalent to GCSEs), Intermediates (kind of similar to AS levels) and Highers (broadly similar to A levels). The Highers are worth fewer UCAS points (University Entrance "currency") than A-Levels, but you tend to take more of them. When we moved up, we looked at getting our youngest son into the local college to do his Highers. He had a good set of GCSEs from England. Because most of them were grade "B" or above, he was able to skip the Intermediates and go straight on to Highers (which are only one year). Something you might want to bear in mind when getting your son through his GCSEs.

I think the other huge benefit of home-educating is the sheer number of ways you can engage them in learning. No hassles about "elf and safety" when taking him out on a trip. For example, take him up to Knockan Crag, north of Ullapool, to see the Moine Thrust in action. A geography lesson, decent hike, dog walk and damn good day out in one session. Get him out on some walks with the local countryside ranger. Take him shopping and get him working on his mental maths. Spin out "what if" prepping scenarios with him, to work on his imagination and creative thinking. Log everything you do and map it to the National Curriculum, so when the Thought-Police come calling, you've got a formal record of what you've done to progress his education. Even better, get him to do it!

Hope this helps, and good luck.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.

Messages In This Thread
Home Education - by Madgirl151 - 13 February 2013, 20:14
RE: Home Education - by Tarrel - 13 February 2013, 20:53
RE: Home Education - by Skean Dhude - 13 February 2013, 20:58
RE: Home Education - by I-K-E - 13 February 2013, 21:07
RE: Home Education - by Straight Shooter - 13 February 2013, 21:20
RE: Home Education - by Madgirl151 - 13 February 2013, 21:25
RE: Home Education - by Tarrel - 14 February 2013, 23:45
RE: Home Education - by NorthernRaider - 13 February 2013, 21:40
RE: Home Education - by I-K-E - 13 February 2013, 21:40
RE: Home Education - by NorthernRaider - 13 February 2013, 21:42
RE: Home Education - by I-K-E - 13 February 2013, 21:53