Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spare laptop/computer = Rolls Royce 'router'
14 February 2013, 22:40,
Spare laptop/computer = Rolls Royce 'router'
My router ceased to function the other day; but not a total nightmare - used my phone as a dongle.

I had to search for a new 'non wireless' hard wired router - because that is what I wanted.
Prefer not to be exposed to any unnecessary radiation and security issues.

Whilst searching, I found that you could use an old computer/laptop with FREE open source software, as a router.... and would become not just any old router!!!!
There are many good benefits - do your research

My set up:
Cable modem to;
cat5e cable to;
Laptop + Untangle (Untangle my chosen software - why choose Untangle? because I did) to;
usb to (RJ45 connector female) ethernet adaptor (thanks Maplins) to;
cat5 cable to;
Addon powerline (sends signal through your ring mains) to;
Addon powerline to;
cat5 cable to;
your computer/laptop (I tie the cat cable to the power cable - laptop only)

Links to free software & info

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/fre...ition.aspx
http://www.untangle.com/store/lite-package.html
http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=...&Itemid=43

Am not great at answering loads of questions (time) - find out for yourself and report anything extra you find out.

Cheers Juice.
walk outside the box
14 February 2013, 22:41,
RE: Spare laptop/computer = Rolls Royce 'router'
Sounds complicated, but equally it sounds like you are a very ingenius and adaptable chap, well done Sir

14 February 2013, 22:51,
Completley lost on me Juice.......BUT....i turn on and off Ok ....thats about my dap mate
14 February 2013, 22:56,
When 'needs must' things become very simple!
walk outside the box
14 February 2013, 23:00,
(14 February 2013, 22:56)Juice Wrote: When 'needs must' things become very simple!

You displayed quality classic prepper attitude, you adapted and overcame a problem that would stump lots of people, you deserve praise for your efforts.

14 February 2013, 23:22,
(14 February 2013, 23:00)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(14 February 2013, 22:56)Juice Wrote: When 'needs must' things become very simple!

You displayed quality classic prepper attitude, you adapted and overcame a problem that would stump lots of people, you deserve praise for your efforts.

Well I certainly wasn't after or expecting any praise!!! Thankyou mate!

When you've been given so much (as in advice and info) it's good for us to spend a little time and effort in giving a little back.

Cheers Juice
walk outside the box
14 February 2013, 23:27,
We really need to start considering the technological aspects of prepping and get it moving on the forum, Dinosaurs like me will never grasp the capabilities of technical and electronic prepping but its an issue we would be fools not to push forward with.

15 February 2013, 10:41,
i'm afraid my technical skills are in the "dinosaur" variety, when the power goes off i will live without it and i have organised my preps with this in mind, i shall be going back to a very basic standard of living, i admire the "Amish" type of lifestyle and am aiming at a British variety of this.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.