Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Curious, you understand....
15 February 2013, 21:43,
RE: Just Curious, you understand....
(15 February 2013, 21:37)MaryN Wrote: Do you think there is anything in this "collective unconscious" theory whereby ideas or feelings are transmitted through some form to others? Just wondered if this uneasy feeling that so many people are feeling (and can't explain) is some atavistic and instinctive reaction to a possible threat. Oops, wandered off into the ether there...

This, kind of, goes back to my Scare Mongering thread. Is all of us having a bad feeling an emitted psychic force? Or is it the result of the internet bringing like minded people together? To be totally fair, it could well be both.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 February 2013, 21:46,
I have always loved Fishing, Hunting and all the other pursuits that seem to go with our way of life. But what really brought it home to me was during my studies at University (History, Archaeology) when I realised that all Civilisations eventually fail and fall, and that we never learn from this, and are continuing to make the same mistakes but with greater consequences. I also feel that events are speeding up now as the crash gains momentum. So I prepare for the worst, whilst hoping for the best, my moto being

Fortuna Favit Mentat Paratae (fortune favours the prepared mind)
15 February 2013, 21:47,
(15 February 2013, 21:46)Tartar Horde Wrote: I have always loved Fishing, Hunting and all the other pursuits that seem to go with our way of life. But what really brought it home to me was during my studies at University (History, Archaeology) when I realised that all Civilisations eventually fail and fall, and that we never learn from this, and are continuing to make the same mistakes but with greater consequences. I also feel that events are speeding up now as the crash gains momentum. So I prepare for the worst, whilst hoping for the best, my moto being

Fortuna Favit Mentat Paratae (fortune favours the prepared mind)

Oh, a Latin scholar
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
15 February 2013, 22:42, (This post was last modified: 15 February 2013, 22:45 by NorthernRaider.)
(15 February 2013, 21:37)MaryN Wrote: The best way I can describe it is that it's like watching a giant elastic band streeeetching, and wondering when it would be smart to duck!

Do you think there is anything in this "collective unconscious" theory whereby ideas or feelings are transmitted through some form to others? Just wondered if this uneasy feeling that so many people are feeling (and can't explain) is some atavistic and instinctive reaction to a possible threat. Oops, wandered off into the ether there...

Many creatures have some fifth sense or instinct that makes them collectively sod off out the way of a quake / forest fire/ tsunami/ sand storm/ Blizzard etc etc who is to say humans dont get some sort of inkling that things are not right and start taking steps ?

All societies eventually fail, but the commonest denominator as to why they fail is they get " Liberal, Civilised and balanced" Rome, Carthage, Greece, Troy, etc etc all fell when they got civilised to a point that the worst aspects of decandence meant there was no morality, no right and wrong left.

15 February 2013, 23:26, (This post was last modified: 15 February 2013, 23:30 by Scythe13.)
(15 February 2013, 22:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: Many creatures have some fifth sense or instinct

Some humans even have a 6th sense that fulfills the role of the animal's 5th sense. Personally, I have touch, taste, smell, hearing, and sight. I use those senses to discern problems.

My 6th sense would be fashion-sense. Certainly not going to be common sense!

(15 February 2013, 22:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: All societies eventually fail, but the commonest denominator as to why they fail is they get " Liberal, Civilised and balanced" Rome, Carthage, Greece, Troy, etc etc all fell when they got civilised to a point that the worst aspects of decandence meant there was no morality, no right and wrong left.

Not sure where your research was done for the collapse of the societies. That's not quite the conclusions my studies have come back with. Do you have any recommended sources?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 February 2013, 23:45,
I only really realised my family have always been preppers to some extent around the new year Smile

My grandad was always teaching me stuff. Anything from fighting dirty to cleaning rabbits for the pot and it was stuff I enjoyed (who wouldn't love being able to drive at 11years old lol). He was always telling me ''In case you ever need to know'' or ''in case anything happens to us'' I think it was due to the way he was brought up.

It always seemed funny to me that I was average at school yet I could do things the other kids would have run crying from.
Winter is coming
16 February 2013, 00:12,
@ NR: I have 2 questions for you...

1. Do you have any other info on that Canadian retreat idea for the UK powers that be? The rumours I heard were that it was for our German Queen and that the PM would be put on a nuclear sub.

2. Do you know if those Free Fire Zone rules still stand?

I've been studying "The Secret State" and it mentions that the government did a study decades ago on the cost of hardening the UK against nuclear attack (i.e. proper building standards, fallout shelters in all new homes & offices, etc) and they concluded that it was prohibitively expensive and would consume the budget set aside for our deterrent force. So they thought - and still do - that it's okay for the country to be annihilated as long as they can have the option to shoot back. Contrast that with Switzerland or even Germany, where houses are built like fortresses in comparison with ours. I was staying in Bielefeld a few months ago and was amazed at how well built our hosts' home was - and how well designed its basement was (i.e. ideal for use as a fallout shelter).
16 February 2013, 08:37,
Same as all the ex mil, it was a natural or parallel path to take.
Failure is NOT an option
16 February 2013, 10:16,
Like many on here I'm Ex military, joined as a boy soldier, very much indoctrinated into the military life, fight for Queen and country and all that, found myself in a little situation in a far off land that gave me a very different view point. Left the forces soon after and have steadily moved towards a self reliant and a permaculture way of life, in the last year began to get that gut feeling of trepidation that I needed to be ready now! Hence I find myself here looking for like minded people.
16 February 2013, 11:09,
personally, with parents of the war(as in WW2) generation we always had a store cupboard and just didnt run out of food-ever, carried on this practise as an adult, but what really got me started in prepping(didnt know the term then) was 9/11 and then our own 7/7, made sure i had an emergency stash of food i could just chuck into the back of the car and bug out, got more heavily involved in prepping when we came home to Devon and got our first computer-started getting more info and advice.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.