Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No really, can YOU do that?
7 March 2013, 21:08,
RE: No really, can YOU do that?
yep thats why humans always seek eachother out in hard times.
i
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
8 March 2013, 11:51,
I love how the initial idea of the post is coming through.

As individuals, we're hugely limited in what we can do alone. We do need to group together, not just for safety and security, but also for mutual use of skills and capabilities. For example, not too many women (or men, come to think of it) that I know, could carry a 100lb deer 3 miles on their shoulders back to camp in one go. NOBODY I know can do so stealthily and remain unseen. Even fewer people could consume that amount of meat at a single sitting!!! For a lonewolf to believe that possible, they'd have to be high! The effort required and the wastage of meat would be HUGE!!! Then you're sat around with a load of rotting meat! Not nice! Preserving that amount of meat isn't really too viable either.

I like how people are genuinely assessing their genuine abilities. This isn't saying I'm superman! I'm probably more limited than most other people on this forum.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 March 2013, 11:55,
you never heard of salting or curing meat for use at a later date then?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 March 2013, 12:00, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 12:02 by Luci_ferson.)
preserving is one of my weaknesses. i can pickle and i can salt. but id say its only the bare basics.
I can butcher most meat as ive done it frequently already. as for the actual hunting of the meat in the first place. id really require help. last time i went rabbiting was with a ferrret purse nets.
my greatest chance of survival is finding others within a year or il be having a lot of trouble surviving.

unless i suddenly learn how to successfully hunt without a teacher, and thats not very likely.
i dont think like a hunter.

glad i will have access to sheep ducks, and chickens they aint hard to round up.
8 March 2013, 12:38,
(8 March 2013, 11:55)bigpaul Wrote: you never heard of salting or curing meat for use at a later date then?

Do you know how to salt properly and what thicknesses need how much salt? Also, can you salt 50lbs of meat? How long does salting last?

Not criticising you, I've never liked salt so not looked into salting, so you've got me thinking.

How much salt would it take to salt 50lbs of meat?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 March 2013, 12:43,
good point about the quantity of salt, youl want to use as little as possible but it still be effective, afterall salt will be a luxory good.
8 March 2013, 12:44,
(8 March 2013, 12:38)Scythe13 Wrote:
(8 March 2013, 11:55)bigpaul Wrote: you never heard of salting or curing meat for use at a later date then?

Do you know how to salt properly and what thicknesses need how much salt? Also, can you salt 50lbs of meat? How long does salting last?

Not criticising you, I've never liked salt so not looked into salting, so you've got me thinking.

How much salt would it take to salt 50lbs of meat?

fair bit i suppose-never done it, how about smoking it?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 March 2013, 12:44,
i've looked into it some. regrettably i dont have the salt to water ratio handy. IMHO best meat preserving method is salting. do not can meat unless you are using a pressure cooker and know exactly what temp / pressure settings need to be reached and for how long. heres a link for preserving foods:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2121012_preserve-meat-salt.html
8 March 2013, 12:45, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 12:50 by Luci_ferson.)
i think il have to stick to smoking, and carefull butchering.
i wont be able to store the amounts of salt required for preserving.

sadly not all meat is good smoked, imagine smoked lamb

then again lamb isnt good salted either.

and more of my plans begin to crumble, Sad

better now than after shtf though,

have any of you looked into the magic properties of marble, they used it in victorian times to keep things cold.
6 pieces of marble forming a cube buried benieth ground would act like a fridge.

marble is very difficult for its temp to change and so it keeps cool.
read about it, youl see what i mean.
8 March 2013, 12:57,
i've talked to some older men about preserving meat, and they all have told me they would preserve meat using a brine mixture. I have looked into this some, it doesnt take as much salt. this link may help too:

http://www.shtfblog.com/how-to-cure-with-liquid-brine/