Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Polly Tunnel
22 February 2013, 22:09,
Polly Tunnel
I am going to put up a Polly Tunnel,... but I think I can build one better than I can buy one, cheaper and more solid, it should work out at around 8 mtrs by 3 mtrs or there abouts....... follow me and see how it goes,.... and wish me luck, I may need it...Dodgy

About a week ago I started to level the ground

[Image: makeinggroundlevel2_zps69e86c68.jpg]
A major part of survival is invisibility.
23 February 2013, 07:06,
RE: Polly Tunnel
Our garden is 100 feet long, and I'm hoping to pop a poly in it. Will be great to watch your progress.

Good luck mate.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 February 2013, 08:53,
looking forward to so if it does turn out better than the ones you can buy! good luck buddy
23 February 2013, 10:26,
nice one pal will like to see how this works out for you
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
23 February 2013, 12:35,
Looks nice location hope south is along the length opposite them trees...get yourself ( gardening under plastic ) by bernard salt.... you need as much light as possible...do the trees need to stay there? plus the algie related problems....good luck highlander....tip....think of ventilation along the sides about 2ft above ground..and heating ( log burner ) with one of those fans sitting on the top of it...this will make the growing season all year round practically...can,t wait to see the pics as you progress.......fantastic ! pal
23 February 2013, 12:52,
Keep us up to speed on your progress please, BTW I went to school with Polly Tunnel Smile

23 February 2013, 15:51,
Good on you, Highlander. When you're dining on the fruits of your labour you'll be proud of yourself. By the way, if you get a few chickens as well they do really well in a polytunnel after all the crops are out and you need to clear the soil. All those wireworms and other little bugs are chicken manna.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
24 February 2013, 20:03,
Monday and Tuesday nights after work I continued to level the site

[Image: level3_zps7628ee7a.jpg]

Untill I had it about right

[Image: levelfinished_zps911163fc.jpg]

I then set about making the frame, I wanted a Polly Tunnel that is going to last a bit and is secure, so I made it with a bit of decent wood, that I have had for a while waiting for such a job as this, I also covered the out parts with carpet so to be sure that the wood wouldn't damage the plastic.

I couldn't really be sure of the width until I had finished, but it works out as 11 feet wide,..I did have to alter the base a bit after, as I hadn't quiet got it wide enough

[Image: arch1_zpsaea6a6d3.jpg]

So now I can be sure of the finished size,...at 24ft x 11ft,.. It will not be as high as a bought tunnel, just comfortable enough for me to walk about inside without bumping my head

I have ordered the plastic, a sheet of 11 mtrs x 9.2 metres is costing me £89 plus postage,... but because of the Highland robbery surcharge we face up here, we are having it sent down to our daughters in the borders, so we will not be able to collect it for a couple of weeks,... but thats fine, because I will be busy making more arches

To answer a couple of questions,... the views are looking east, so the hedge on the left is due north, so the tunnel is in more or less full summer sun,.. and I will be bringing the hedge down to half the height

I think for ventilation I am planning a door at each end, so I can get a through draft, the wind/breeze is almost always west to east,... I am not going to bother with winter heat
24 February 2013, 20:15,
when I had an allotment most of the long termers on there had a double door setup with a netting type inner and a poly outer so they could allow the tunnel to be ventilated with out the bugs getting in during the summer and the poly door to seal up the thing during high winds and winter
24 February 2013, 20:22,
(24 February 2013, 20:15)I-K-E Wrote: when I had an allotment most of the long termers on there had a double door setup with a netting type inner and a poly outer so they could allow the tunnel to be ventilated with out the bugs getting in during the summer and the poly door to seal up the thing during high winds and winter

In this part of the world something like that is an absolute necessity, in order to deal with the Highland midgies,....or nothing would ever get done,.. we do have special netting for them