Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What tinned food is best?
2 March 2013, 08:14,
What tinned food is best?
Now I often hear it said that you should only store/cache food that you like to eat, makes sense!

But what tinned foods are going to offer me the most nutrition/fibre/vitamins post SHTF? I want to start storing quality items of tinned food
Let's say for arguments sake that you can only store 4 different tinned goods , What would the forum recommend??
Respect existence or expect resistance!
2 March 2013, 08:52,
RE: What tinned food is best?
only 4

well then for a balance diet it would have to be potatoes ( carbs ) mixed veg (vits ) a meat of your choice mine would be stewed steak ( no added horse and the highest meat content ) and baked beans ( just because and the fiber of course )
2 March 2013, 09:29,
The only rule I have is `variety`,... you need variety for any diet to work, so if you only ask for four, it would have to be one tin of main meal, [ stew, sausage and beans etc ],.. one tin of Veg, [or soups ].. one tin of fruit, and one tin of fancy,..i.e. something you fancy...[ sticky toffee pud etc ].

We buy all sort, anything from the cheap stands too, the thing we try not to buy are damaged tins
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 March 2013, 10:16,
Welll the thing to consider is the contents of the tinned food you eat is only as good as the ingrediants that went in. so if you bought cheapo discount store tinned peas they probably are not going to be as tasty and nutricous as if you bought the hand picked, organic version from Waitrose.

Afraid I cannot list only 4 items , I stock

Tinned
Potatoes
Carrots
Beans
Peas
Tomatoes
Sweetcorn
Mixed Veg
(still trying to get tinned swede)
Assorted Soups
Assorted Fruits
Corned beef
Ham
Spam
Bacon Grill
Chicken in white sauce

We only buy brands we LIKE rather than the most expensive or cheapest

2 March 2013, 10:19,
fats as well butter mag oils and sweets choclate
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
2 March 2013, 10:38,
we store tinned: fruit, sweetcorn, peas, fish-several different types inc tuna and mackerel, stewing steak, corned beef, soups, rice pudding, baked beans and other sorts of beans.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 March 2013, 12:04,
(2 March 2013, 10:38)bigpaul Wrote: we store tinned: fruit, sweetcorn, peas, fish-several different types inc tuna and mackerel, stewing steak, corned beef, soups, rice pudding, baked beans and other sorts of beans.

Im pretty much the same i am on a tight budget so most the tinned food i get is economy/basics range some of it doesnt taste the best but when tshtf and theres nothing to eat it will be like eating gourmet foodBig Grin
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
2 March 2013, 12:37,
i like Branston Baked beans, we buy them when they're on offer..usually half price.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 March 2013, 14:18,
Beans and Sausages, mixed tin. For protein and carbs.
Mixed Beans. For vitamins and minerals, even though they'll be decreased.
Mac+Cheese!!! MMMMMMM, yummy!!!!!!
Rice pudding, because it's fit and delicious, and life without puddings isn't life at all!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 March 2013, 16:36,
If you can afford it order some german tinned bread and tinned butter, a basic everyday item that we take forgranted but will be fine dining when tshf