Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Log Cabin Video
2 March 2013, 18:55,
Log Cabin Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjRW3xS4Q14

Hope you all like this.

I'm reading my book on log cabin construction and thought I'd pop a few videos and get looking at how good they are and how long they last.

NICE!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 March 2013, 22:21,
RE: Log Cabin Video
thanks interesting video
2 March 2013, 22:56,
That guy has ablolutely the most irritating accent and speach patterns available on this side of the pond!

What he does not know about what he is doing I will not even begin to list.
3 March 2013, 18:26,
i would love to have a house like this out in the sticks Smile maybe if i ever win the lotto Smile
Winter is coming
4 March 2013, 11:18, (This post was last modified: 4 March 2013, 11:57 by Scythe13.)
(3 March 2013, 18:26)Hex Wrote: i would love to have a house like this out in the sticks Smile maybe if i ever win the lotto Smile

There are some great books on log cabin construction. WTSHTF, land will suddenly become available.

(3 March 2013, 18:26)Hex Wrote: i would love to have a house like this out in the sticks Smile maybe if i ever win the lotto Smile

There are some great books on log cabin construction. WTSHTF, land will suddenly become available.

Might be worth getting a book and trying the building techniques out.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 April 2015, 20:07,
Corr ....remember great posts like this ?
28 April 2015, 06:34,
Though my intentions are mainly to bug in, I've always had in mind alternative plans in case of the need to bug out, one of the main considerations being what to do for shelter for myself and my family especially if it had to be for an extended period of time.
As an initial temporary shelter I have a large lavu/tipi and portable wood burning stove, I chose the tipi as it can be put up by a single person and I could pack in about eight people with the stove in the middle if needs be.
This is a good shelter even out in the snow in winter, it is comfortable as long as there is a fire going, but I would not want to live in it for more than a few weeks.
So for some time I'd considered something like a log cabin construction, I've got a couple of Ben Law's books on round wood timber framing and even had a go at doing some of the joints, there is quite a lot of skill and knowledge involved.
I also looked around for possible alternative's and ended up quite liking the idea of sand bag or earth bag construction or more specifically a wood timber frame and sand bag construction I have had experience of building sandbag bunkers and gun emplacements back in my army days and recon that a few people working together with some basic tools could soon construct a very solid shelter that could be partly underground and blend into the surrounding country side, of course it does mean you need to have a stash of sand bags, but I'm working on that one.
Here are some alternatives and examples.
http://earthbagstructures.com/index.htm
http://www.offgridquest.com/homes-dwelli...ns?start=1
28 April 2015, 09:29,
Have seen the video before - very interesting to see it again.
On a local level (England) it might be interesting to have a look at the 'rammed-earth.org' website.
This is based in Norfolk - England and it would seem that you can build a very 'nice' pad out of earth.
28 April 2015, 13:57,
In this area there is currently a lot of interest in the use of straw bales for constructing new properties, there is even a new community centre being built on the outskirts of Plymouth using straw bales.

http://www.homegrownhome.co.uk/
28 April 2015, 17:04,
T O good post.....a lot of sense in what you have, lots of us have tarps and tents for ease of carry and movement ....eventually if luck is with us....we will need something more substantial though..its obvious i have a bias towards timber...its my trade ... but in the middle of winter you need to be warm to be fit enough to anything of use for you or your group....earth is also good ...but if its frozen ...hard work....bales hay/straw great but what if there is none ....and winter....ease of timber and in good supply seems the best option.