Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Log Cabin Video
28 April 2015, 06:34,
RE: Log Cabin Video
Though my intentions are mainly to bug in, I've always had in mind alternative plans in case of the need to bug out, one of the main considerations being what to do for shelter for myself and my family especially if it had to be for an extended period of time.
As an initial temporary shelter I have a large lavu/tipi and portable wood burning stove, I chose the tipi as it can be put up by a single person and I could pack in about eight people with the stove in the middle if needs be.
This is a good shelter even out in the snow in winter, it is comfortable as long as there is a fire going, but I would not want to live in it for more than a few weeks.
So for some time I'd considered something like a log cabin construction, I've got a couple of Ben Law's books on round wood timber framing and even had a go at doing some of the joints, there is quite a lot of skill and knowledge involved.
I also looked around for possible alternative's and ended up quite liking the idea of sand bag or earth bag construction or more specifically a wood timber frame and sand bag construction I have had experience of building sandbag bunkers and gun emplacements back in my army days and recon that a few people working together with some basic tools could soon construct a very solid shelter that could be partly underground and blend into the surrounding country side, of course it does mean you need to have a stash of sand bags, but I'm working on that one.
Here are some alternatives and examples.
http://earthbagstructures.com/index.htm
http://www.offgridquest.com/homes-dwelli...ns?start=1

Messages In This Thread
Log Cabin Video - by Scythe13 - 2 March 2013, 18:55
RE: Log Cabin Video - by I-K-E - 2 March 2013, 22:21
RE: Log Cabin Video - by Mortblanc - 2 March 2013, 22:56
RE: Log Cabin Video - by Hex - 3 March 2013, 18:26
RE: Log Cabin Video - by Scythe13 - 4 March 2013, 11:18
RE: Log Cabin Video - by Straight Shooter - 26 April 2015, 20:07
RE: Log Cabin Video - by T-oddity - 28 April 2015, 06:34
RE: Log Cabin Video - by iaaems - 28 April 2015, 09:29
RE: Log Cabin Video - by Devonian - 28 April 2015, 13:57