Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
blow pipes?
2 March 2013, 20:10,
blow pipes?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I thought it would be the most fitting Smile

So I was wondering about blow pipes, has anyone ever tried using one/making one/the legality of them.
Winter is coming
2 March 2013, 20:11,
RE: blow pipes?
(2 March 2013, 20:10)Hex Wrote: Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I thought it would be the most fitting Smile

So I was wondering about blow pipes, has anyone ever tried using one/making one/the legality of them.

i havent got enough puff for a blowpipe!!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 March 2013, 21:17, (This post was last modified: 2 March 2013, 21:22 by Luci_ferson.)
Ive actuall built one and used one a few summers ago.
and I know it wasnt really a good effort at building one ( bit of steel thin tubular pipe bound in a rope)
we did study the dimensions and principles of them.
the result was .
after a hell of a lot of practice I could hit a plate about the size of a light switch from about 8 metres but not with enough force to actually be of any use without the use of poisons (unadvisable).
However my friend who is about 5ft and roughly 14 stone instantly picked it up and fired a piece of plasticine through it with enough force to leave me with a large bruise on my calf that lasted about 2 months.
this was from about 6 metres away.
Id say blow guns for defence probably isnt the best idea,
theres many air rifles that can be easily bouught and are within legal requirements to own.
blowguns may be fun to play with and maybe practice with, but if you feal you need something for defence, Id go for the simplest option.
besides dont forget the trusty catapult. fast to reload and easy to master with practice.
it also has nothing to do with how big your lungs are.

why is it whenever i type something it comes out sounding nothing like i meant.

my point was.

try a good catapult with the sights on, a competition pro.
easier to master and can do a lot more damage when used with ballbearings
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
2 March 2013, 23:25,
There illegal to buy in the uk.
2 March 2013, 23:33, (This post was last modified: 2 March 2013, 23:49 by Luci_ferson.)
are they ?
poop.
there blows that idea ( so to speak)

try the blowgun then you could be one of the lucky ones like my friend who just instictively took to it.
but even if not its fun playing with them.
but the poisons path is still really unadvisable for many reasons, not just technical.

id say have a play with a blow gun for fun anyway. (afterall , all prep and no play makes jack a very dull boy)
but I definately wouldnt rely on it for defence.

blow guns are a bit like the clarinet,
youl either knock them dead, cover them in spit, or leave them with a light breeze that was about as exciting as a fart.

as a side note , i would love to learn to use a sling properly.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
2 March 2013, 23:56,
If you had a blow pipe and I had a brick in my hand......enough said.

If it gets to that, I'd rather throw a rock.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 March 2013, 09:48,
the idea of a blow pipe was nothing to do with self defence for me, like you said Scythe a brick is going to beat a blow pipe. it was more of an idea for hunting small game. i mean it could potentially be used as an offensive weapon if you were using the right stuff and were super sneaky but personally i wouldnt risk it.
Winter is coming
3 March 2013, 11:25,
Talked to a guy who built one. He used 3/4" plastic pipe, added a foam bung cut to size and held in place with tape. Used welding rods wich he cut and sharpened. Easily take down a man, they used to play darts 30foot away from there board.
3 March 2013, 12:07,
sure its not as easy as it looks to make but could be worth a try Big Grin could make quite a cool walking stick Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqVvuyKVsFQ
Winter is coming
3 March 2013, 19:41,
I've had a blow pipe for years with a set of very sharp steel darts. Like everything else it is not a all rounder but a dart in your eye, throat or any soft part will hurt a lot. I've lost two darts that got stuck in solid wood and I broke them before I changed my target practise board. I use my archery board now.

Put something on them like a poison or even waste and you will have a lethal weapon.

There are places a blow pipe with poison on will be much better than a brick. Just not face to face.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin