Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't drink from radiators
5 March 2013, 14:01,
RE: Don't drink from radiators
just a thought

whats the water that comes from a condensing boiler ?
mine just goes down the drain !!
5 March 2013, 14:11,
Thanks NR,

I've never had that in my radiators. The only time we bleed them is when we have had to empty them for decorating or damages.

I can see however that it depends what they are made of and when they were last flushed.

Still wouldn't drink any water from there though.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 March 2013, 16:07,
(5 March 2013, 13:05)NorthernRaider Wrote: The sludge comes from anaerobic bacteria and disolved metals from the system such as copper, iron, zinc etc, remember some heating systems treatments contain heavy metals and carconogenics.

Note that when you have to frequently bleed air from your radiators but you know its not leaking its because the gunge in your system is producing hydrogen sulphide, so imagine the shite in the water !!

i knew the first bit, but had no idea about the hydrogen sulphide.
youve just solved one of my little mysterys. think i better drain the entire system and refill with soe preserver in. i have to bleed my radiators about every 2 months and i know it isnt leaking.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
5 March 2013, 16:39,
You can often ignite the gas as it vents out of the bleed nipple BUT BUT BUT (A) The flame in invisible but ferkin hot and (B) If theres a lot of gas you can cause an explosion.
5 March 2013, 19:11,
Best venting it and not taking too many risks then. If I remember sulphur is the vile smelling stuff isn't it. Don't need a light just a nose.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin