Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armour
4 March 2013, 15:46,
Armour
Hello Folks,

I was talking with my 5 year old the other day and he said he wanted me to make him armour. He saw some lamellar plates I had bought and was super excited when I told him what they were for and that I had bought them to test putting some together.
Someone on here mentioned armour I think and that gave me the initial idea to get the plates.
Has anyone yet put some together and how did it fare.
There are also quite a few thoughts jumbled around in my head that on the surface seem good but may prove otherwise.
Any thoughts you guys have would be very much appreciated.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
4 March 2013, 15:49,
RE: Armour
Welcome back, carnt help with armour questions im afraid. Wore chainmail once and spent the night running around in woods :p
4 March 2013, 15:53,
lol
I am avoiding chainmail like the plague. At least for now 'cos it takes way too long to put together.
I could probably put together a lamellar suit in say a week and the chainmail equivalent would take me probably a year or more.

besides it's too darn heavy and does not really protect you from the more pointy things that can be sent one's way with great force and speed...

And thanks much for the welcome back, Metroyeti. It is so good to be back.
4 March 2013, 16:25,
Never tried it but interested in hearing the results.
4 March 2013, 16:26,
i would have thought armour would weigh too much to move at any speed??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 March 2013, 16:37,
The Japanese warrior caste made excellent laminar armour from bamboo, leather and silk layers that would greater reduce trauma from bladed weapons but not bullets.

4 March 2013, 16:41,
Tbh I wasnt wearing chainmail for defensive purposes just for fun. I found it akward to get on, definatly easier if someone helps you , and it could be difficult to get off.
4 March 2013, 16:46,
(4 March 2013, 16:37)NorthernRaider Wrote: The Japanese warrior caste made excellent laminar armour from bamboo, leather and silk layers that would greater reduce trauma from bladed weapons but not bullets.

They eventually invented a version that was bullet proof (for the time). Date Masamune (from present day Sendai in the north) kitted out all his warriors (both samurai and ashigaru peasant soldiers) for the Korean Campaigns in the 1590's.

Your point about layers has given me a little more clarification on the idea of putting the armour together...thank you, Sensei NR.
4 March 2013, 16:50,
i think i'll be better off with a Ghillie suit!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 March 2013, 16:53,
I just called the guy who I got the first plates from.

I will probably need about 200 plates to make the torso cover (kind of like a sleeveless vest).
Shoulder pieces, groin guards, thigh protectors would advertise one's armour so am not sure if they would have as much use but still would certainly do the job if the situation called for them...

Decisions decisions...

Ghillies suit too is great...