Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British Knife Laws
6 March 2013, 01:52,
RE: British Knife Laws
Does "being searched" happen to you often?

I am 63 and have never been stopped and searched in my life.

Of course I might just be very innocent and unassuming in appearance. The retired professor look allows one some lattitude.

There are times when I have gone through checkpoints at the airport or government buildings but I anticipated that and left the guns, knives and tomahawks in the vehicle.

I believe I will rethink this effort and make a nice nonlocking folder of the same size and just avoid the entire problem as much as possible.
6 March 2013, 09:01,
I am pleased to say that I have never been stopped and searched in my life either, but I am neither a young `hoodie` or live in the city,... it does seem that some parts of society get searched more than others,... so I doubt a `retired professor` would be either
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 March 2013, 09:57,
i was only stopped once, living in a city, not searched( good job too, as i was carrying a knife, for self protection) and once only.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 March 2013, 10:02,
Cant tell you how many times ive been stop and searched but i live in s london so its not a surprise,I would proberly get nicked for possession of a multi toolAngry
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
6 March 2013, 10:27,
(6 March 2013, 01:52)Mortblanc Wrote: Does "being searched" happen to you often?

I am 63 and have never been stopped and searched in my life.

Of course I might just be very innocent and unassuming in appearance. The retired professor look allows one some lattitude.

There are times when I have gone through checkpoints at the airport or government buildings but I anticipated that and left the guns, knives and tomahawks in the vehicle.

I believe I will rethink this effort and make a nice nonlocking folder of the same size and just avoid the entire problem as much as possible.

The police are legally allowed to stop & search anyone at anytime if they "suspect terrorism". This covers the person & a vehicle. Whenever I get stopped by the police (happens regularly due to me being a young guy - 30 - driving to work at 4am) & the copper seems to be "thorough", I tell them what I have. Every time except the time it was taken off me, they seem to have appreciated my honesty & being upfront with them.

If you look at it from a coppers point of view, they don't want to be arresting people who are going to be released without charge. Whilst there are some absolute arses in a police uniform, 9 times out of 10 they're decent if you stay calm & remember they're humans too.
6 March 2013, 10:36,
i've always found in the past when dealing with the Police, dont argue with them, dont raise your voice, it only makes them more beligerant, they might be a complete arsehole but its best not to upset them, that way you may not be held up for too long, whearas if you argue they are going to do all the checks they can just to inconvenience you.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 March 2013, 10:57,
(6 March 2013, 10:36)bigpaul Wrote: i've always found in the past when dealing with the Police, dont argue with them, dont raise your voice, it only makes them more beligerant, they might be a complete arsehole but its best not to upset them, that way you may not be held up for too long, whearas if you argue they are going to do all the checks they can just to inconvenience you.

Very true, they are in position of power and never be naive enough to think they won't abuse it if they can get away with it, though generally I think this is unlikely. One other tip, if you're directed to pull over then never sit in the car and wait for them. Always get out of the car and keep your hands where they can see them. I was advised years ago that they don't like it if you just sit there, I have found this to be good advice. Obviously jumping out and shouting and swearing isn't advisable either Smile
Power to the people!
6 March 2013, 11:05,
(6 March 2013, 10:57)Wolfiesmith Wrote:
(6 March 2013, 10:36)bigpaul Wrote: i've always found in the past when dealing with the Police, dont argue with them, dont raise your voice, it only makes them more beligerant, they might be a complete arsehole but its best not to upset them, that way you may not be held up for too long, whearas if you argue they are going to do all the checks they can just to inconvenience you.

Very true, they are in position of power and never be naive enough to think they won't abuse it if they can get away with it, though generally I think this is unlikely. One other tip, if you're directed to pull over then never sit in the car and wait for them. Always get out of the car and keep your hands where they can see them. I was advised years ago that they don't like it if you just sit there, I have found this to be good advice. Obviously jumping out and shouting and swearing isn't advisable either Smile

This works in UK, but don't go trying the getting out of the car thing in the USA... its absolutely the wrong thing to do there and could end up with you being shot!
conscius et paratum
6 March 2013, 11:10,
(6 March 2013, 11:05)Digger Wrote:
(6 March 2013, 10:57)Wolfiesmith Wrote:

This works in UK, but don't go trying the getting out of the car thing in the USA... its absolutely the wrong thing to do there and could end up with you being shot!

yep a mate of mine had a trip to the state a few years back and got pulled for speeding he got out of the car and the next thing he was staring down the barrel of a gun
6 March 2013, 11:11,
since we're talking about Police on a UK site, i dont think this applies.