Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what to carry
6 March 2013, 15:22,
RE: what to carry
ive got to adit if someone pointed a bow id still be likely to try my luck, hoping on a first miss and run in before a reload.
but if you got a 12bore in your hand id have to walk the other way. i wouldnt even want to find out if it was loaded or not.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
6 March 2013, 16:24,
If I had a shotgun I would carry it. Can you get blank shells? If you had to you get fire a warning/blank shot that would scare most people off, and save you ammo.

I need to get a compound bow, but will be carrying my trusty tomahawk 24/7 can also use it as a pry bar wich is handy for exploring for surplies.
6 March 2013, 16:32,
i'm not sure about compound bows, a bit outside my knowledge, all those strings and roundy bits, i'm looking for a cheap, small wooden bow one i can just leave strung and not worry about.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 March 2013, 18:33,
If you are already in a rural setting use everything you have until you are forced to "bug out".

When you have to leave, use both the 12 ga guns if you have ammo for them, based on all the points you mentioned.

1" iron waterpipe will make a 12 ga zipgun if you ever have to go that route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av1eJOGSkVA

(Information offered for emergency use only, of course.)

Cache the 20 ga and the crossbow in a safe place. If things get bad, you run out of ammo, or you have other people to equip, you can always come back and get them.

Never "throw away" anything, cache it for recovery. Two shells in a trash 20ga shotgun are better than no gun at all. In fact, one shell in the zip gun is better than no gun at all, when things get close up and personal.
6 March 2013, 21:33, (This post was last modified: 6 March 2013, 21:40 by Luci_ferson.)
MortBlancs plan sounds great but id keep one 12ga and the crossbow. instead of 2 12ga
sometimes quiet can be really usefull.

and its highly unlikely you would try firing 2 12ga at same time

stood facing you with you pointing cut down 12ga in one hand and crossbow in other.
im guaranteed to walk other way. one way or another id be dead if i didnt.

i know i couldnt calculate the odds of my survival quicker than i can come to the decission to walk away

(6 March 2013, 16:24)Metroyeti Wrote: If I had a shotgun I would carry it. Can you get blank shells? If you had to you get fire a warning/blank shot that would scare most people off, and save you ammo.

I need to get a compound bow, but will be carrying my trusty tomahawk 24/7 can also use it as a pry bar wich is handy for exploring for surplies.

for the space it would take to carry a blank you may as well have an extra live round.
6 March 2013, 22:11,
Given the choice both have there good and bad points, main point is you have a choice I would go for one each and like some one pointed out no blank rounds incase you end up in the scenario where you only have blank left in SHTF, is having the capability to re load ammunition feasible ?
7 March 2013, 00:05,
you can always fire a live at the sky and its as good as a blank. but you cant fire a blank at a target and hope to hit.
7 March 2013, 03:39,
Really want to know what I would do?

I have to get my head wrapped around your regulations because I have an entirely different thought process in my area which involves handguns as well as rifle and scattergun.

In your situation, with nothing but three shotguns, a crossbow and a girlfriend in a long period of loss of rule of law;

The cheap Cowey shotgun gets cut down to pistol size and stuck in the belt. That device would be with me every minute of every day and night. If I had a few minutes of spare time I would make a holster from a boot top and carry it from belt or shoulder.

I carry one 12 ga and sling the crossbow on my back.

The GF carries the second 12 ga.

Everything goes with me.

If rule of law returns and the cut down shotgun becomes a legal problem then take the barrel off, flatten it and dispose of it. A cheap shotgun with half a stock and no barrel is not illigal.

Do not waste weight carrying blanks! If someone needs a warning shot, if you are so inclined to waste ammo, seeing shot plow up the ground at their feet should be sufficient.
7 March 2013, 07:09,
Thank's for the suggestions everyone it's really helped.What i've decided is to keep one of the 12's as my main carry along with 100cartridges and keep the bow slung on my back.The shotgun wins out on reloading speed effectivness and intimidation factor if i should need it.
the crossbow though bulky has too many good points going for it to leave so i'll have to deal with the extra weight.
My girlfriend carries the 20,it's more compact and lighter and she could carry more cartridges.If the shtf cutting it down to the forend would make it even more compact but it would sacrafice range,still it's something i hadn't thought of doing and i can see the usefulness,also the saved weight means she could carry more cartridges.

The extra 12 gauge i plan on cacheing with extra ammo.I have an allotment so im going to make a box large enough to store the gun and 1000 cartridges.If thing's do turn pear shaped i should have enough time to hide it away and hopefuly be able to return if i need it.
I'll have to adjust the rest of my kit (i need a better backpack anyway)
7 March 2013, 09:12,
I am sure you are aware of this, but don't forget to grease that cashed gun well,.... moisture can get into almost everything, and you don't want that barrel rusty when you need it,.. wrap it in a good greased rag before boxing it
A major part of survival is invisibility.