Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smk b2 air rifles
8 March 2013, 17:25, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 17:27 by Barneyboy.)
RE: Smk b2 air rifles
(8 March 2013, 13:49)Digger Wrote:
(8 March 2013, 13:38)Barneyboy Wrote:
(8 March 2013, 13:33)Scythe13 Wrote:
(8 March 2013, 13:29)Barneyboy Wrote: the B2 are ok but they are cheap , for hunting go for the one up gamo

Whichever is affordable and as long as it's viable....go for it.

not when its live prey you are going to kill ,must be fast kill

800fps in .177 or 600fps in .22 is adequate for bunnies, yes?

its all about consistency of power because if you shoot at say 11ftlb and set your sights at that, and the gun and seals are not up to much you will get a lower ftlb ,and at 20 to 30 yards a one lb drop will mean not a head shot but a face or jaw hit ,and every one will understand that is not on .so the b2 is ok for hitting cans i for one would spend a little more and get a better gun

(8 March 2013, 13:49)Digger Wrote:
(8 March 2013, 13:38)Barneyboy Wrote:
(8 March 2013, 13:33)Scythe13 Wrote:
(8 March 2013, 13:29)Barneyboy Wrote: the B2 are ok but they are cheap , for hunting go for the one up gamo

Whichever is affordable and as long as it's viable....go for it.

not when its live prey you are going to kill ,must be fast kill

800fps in .177 or 600fps in .22 is adequate for bunnies, yes?

and when i say fast kill i mean a clean kill and a b2 will not keep the fps for long
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
9 March 2013, 10:05,
Thanks BB

Good feedback
conscius et paratum
9 March 2013, 12:56,
I used a Weihrauch HW77 underlever for many years and couldn't fault it. It had a great adjustable trigger, could be tuned very easily, and the parts were widely available, not the cheapest or lightest spring air rifle out there, but certainly one of the best. I sold it when the PCP craze came in and bought an Air Arms S200, which was unbelievably accurate, and the early models were easy to tune, but it was a pain having to rely on someone for your air supply. I looked into buying a tank etc and hand pump and the whole package was just stupid money. I eventually sold the Air Arms S200 and am looking to buy an Air Rifle once more. I will buy either a HW80 or a HW77 spring rifle a couple of spare springs and seal sets.
9 March 2013, 12:59,
my old one when i was 18 was a weihrauch it outlasted both my friends rifles twice. and was still going when i sold it.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
9 March 2013, 15:06,
I've got the Gamo Shadow IGT with a Hawke Airmax EV 3-9x50 i use for pest control,

I can headshot a bunny on a calm day at circa 50m every time, past 50m accuracy can be a little off so it's best not to take the shot.

I prefer to spend as much as i can afford on a scope, an air rifle without a scope is damn near useless to most folk (tho the Shadow does have neat fibre optic sights)

It's possibly not as accurate as the BSA carbine i used to use (cant remember the model exactly) but i put this down to the kick the gun has!

I'd advise going for gas ram, if your a noob to air rifles you WILL leave it cocked by accident for a few weeks, and ruin your spring, gas rams are a little more forgiving!
9 March 2013, 22:46, (This post was last modified: 9 March 2013, 23:23 by Talon.)
Lets not forget a quality scope mount is also highly important for a spring gun,a centre fire rifle is more powerful by far but a spring gun due to the nature of it can be much more harsh on scopes.

A quality spring can also be left cocked for quite a long time (though not adviseable).I've stored an air rifle cocked for 2 weeks and after 4 shots it's chroney'd the same as it did when it was freshly cocked.

I made the mistake of thinking the biggest square section spring was the best (i bought into the ox spring craze when i was younger).All it ever did was produce an impressive bang,harsher recoil and inconsistent accuracy.tuneing is much more important on a spring air rifle.And regardless of advertising hype you can only get so much,length of piston travel/swept volume/ a good piston head and breech seal,and the transfer port is how you increase power.Tuening just smooth's the fireing cycle.

(9 March 2013, 22:46)Talon Wrote: Lets not forget a quality scope mount is also highly important for a spring gun,a centre fire rifle is more powerful by far but a spring gun due to the nature of it can be much more harsh on scopes.

A quality spring can also be left cocked for quite a long time (though not adviseable).I've stored an air rifle cocked for 2 weeks and after 4 shots it's chroney'd the same as it did when it was freshly cocked.

I made the mistake of thinking the biggest square section spring was the best (i bought into the ox spring craze when i was younger).All it ever did was produce an impressive bang,harsher recoil and inconsistent accuracy.tuneing is much more important on a spring air rifle.And regardless of advertising hype you can only get so much,length of piston travel/swept volume/ a good piston head and breech seal,and the transfer port is how you increase power.Tuening just smooth's the fireing cycle.

Forgot to add,though there may be better spring rifles on the market now (i'm really out of the loop these days).Weihrauch though heavy were (and probably still are) top tier spring air rifles,if i could afford an HW77 that would be my choice of underleaver,the HW80 for break barrel (built like a tank i wish i still owned one)