Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smk b2 air rifles
8 March 2013, 10:50,
RE: Smk b2 air rifles
P1, You lost me with the hw's & the piston weights. Lol

I'm not after an expensive top end rifle. Equally I'm not after an expensive throwing stick either.

I've read about the quality (or lack of) in smk's so would strip it right down & clean it anyway. Once the original grease is cleaned off, can I just use normal grease (like I would use on a car) or does it have to be special grease? Or does it have to be something other than grease? I'm not a big gun person so my knowledge is limited (like you hadn't guessed already) but I've stripped air rifles down in the past so have no problem on that front.

Digger, I was thinking the .177 version for the extra fps. I would guess for a bunny's head, an extra 1.5mm isn't going to make much difference. There are plenty rabbit runs on the outskirts of the village where my parents live. I was thinking setting up a hide & waiting. Obviously I'll have traps set as well. My main source of protien will (hopefully) come from fish so again the bunnies will be a backup.
8 March 2013, 11:02,
Funnily enough, the stuff I use is high melting point car grease with the moly in it.
I also use the copper slip stuff on the sears etc...

Some people use only the "proper" stuff, but you have what you have in my book.

Its got many uses that car grease , you can even "water" it down with oil.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
8 March 2013, 11:20,
GR

I just checked the spec on the £80 SYNXS model. Its 800 ft/sec on .177 and 600ft / sec on .22

.22 hits nearly twice as hard as .177 The trade off is that the trajectory of the always faster .177 is flatter and more forgiving of inaccurate distance assessment by the shooter. .177 is also less affected by crosswinds.

But.... if you spend a lot of time practicing, getting to understand the trajectory of your pellets, and learning how to make appropriate adjustments to the gun sights for distance and windage, both are equally accurate.

The faster velocities of the SYNXS model let you choose either calibre. The .22 will be surly knock down more bunnies, but will take you a little longer to master its trajectory. The .177 will be faster to achieve accuracy, but in the long term will have less hitting power.

Back on track: Buy the B2 in .177 calibre now. Play with it and see if it does what you want. If its a perfect match just buy another of the same, job done! If the B2s effective killing range is too short for you, make your second gun an 800ft /sec .177 If the B2's good in range but lacks knock down power, get a 600ft/sec .22 calibre
conscius et paratum
8 March 2013, 13:02,
Emailed my tackle shop & the b2's are £45 while the synxs .22 is only £65 on the website & he may have the .177 in stock but not advertised. For the sake of £20 I may as well just buy the better one to start with

Cheers for the advice guys. It gives me a few options to think over.
8 March 2013, 13:25,
My questions are hopefully self answering...

Does it shoot pellets?
Does it have enough force to shoot pellets to take out a rabbit?
Is it accurate enough that you can adjust for it's skew of the pellets?
Is it affordable?
Is it better than nothing?
Does it provide intimidation enough to deter people that come knocking?
Do you have enough pellets?
Would you want your team members using them or using something different at the same price?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 March 2013, 13:29,
the B2 are ok but they are cheap , for hunting go for the one up gamo
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
8 March 2013, 13:33,
(8 March 2013, 13:29)Barneyboy Wrote: the B2 are ok but they are cheap , for hunting go for the one up gamo

Whichever is affordable and as long as it's viable....go for it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 March 2013, 13:38,
(8 March 2013, 13:33)Scythe13 Wrote:
(8 March 2013, 13:29)Barneyboy Wrote: the B2 are ok but they are cheap , for hunting go for the one up gamo

not when its live prey you are going to kill ,must be fast kill
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
8 March 2013, 13:49,
(8 March 2013, 13:38)Barneyboy Wrote:
(8 March 2013, 13:33)Scythe13 Wrote:

not when its live prey you are going to kill ,must be fast kill

800fps in .177 or 600fps in .22 is adequate for bunnies, yes?
conscius et paratum
8 March 2013, 14:32,
Scythe, that's pretty much what I was looking at. It's not the prettiest, not the most effective. But if it'll kill bunnies that's all I'm after.