Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewage gases from toilets post shtf
12 May 2013, 19:48,
RE: Sewage gases from toilets post shtf
Is the law still on the books that in all of England the King owns the night soils?

Those "wastes" are the source of some high value nitrates needed for gunpowder.
12 May 2013, 19:54,
(12 May 2013, 19:48)Mortblanc Wrote: Is the law still on the books that in all of England the King owns the night soils?

well seeing as we dont have a King at the moment and havent since 1953.....i thought you might just have noticed?Big GrinBig Grin its MY "night soil" and i'll do what i bloody well like with it!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 May 2013, 20:27,
I have read this thread with absolute wonder.

As a guy all has always planned to bug out, but must now Bug In...I haven't even considered this potential muck up to my plans..... This is why i've joined these forums.

Off to get some plans of my local pipework tomorrow and see what's to be done to avoid the sh*t hitting the fan...LOL

does the 99p store do kitty litter I wonder?
15 May 2013, 22:24,
It really is a worry that need not be a worry. Your toilet can be dry whilst the system is working and you will have no problems with gas. I and I expect others on these boards will have been in enough abandoned buildings that we are not unfamiliar with a dry toilet.

If TSHSF in such a big style you were to have problems, how long would people have water to flush? How long would the majority of the population be staying at home pooping and flushing? How long would they have food to poop?

Not long.

I know that on Tyneside, two weeks worth of waste for the whole conurbation can be stored no problem. That is a million people flushing the toilet and the waste being stored.

Now, Could you get backflow into your home through the toilet?

Yes, you could. If you were at the lowest part of the system of the sewer network and yours was the first point of exit from the sewer network, rather than an inspection cover or similar.

Could their be a gas explosion that could move crap around? Yup, but as long as you have water in your toilet - water from rain, your own waste water, water from where ever, then excess pressure should be taken care of. Was one old factory me and a couple of mates would visit once or twice a week, had the water cut off, toilet never dried out as we would piss in it (although we did not release the brown trouts as we knew was no water to flush) and we must have been going to the place more than a year.

It is much more likely that if you live near the lowest point in the system, a road with the sewer under it could collapse and the street would be full of mess for a while. It would stink to high heavens and the rats would be a problem. Might be a blessing in disguise in keeping people away and then once it had composted to be used as manure.

Probably be safer to use the manure to add to water to feed insects for fish food rather than putting it on plants I would think.
15 May 2013, 22:32,
(15 May 2013, 22:24)BDG Wrote: If TSHSF in such a big style you were to have problems, how long would people have water to flush? How long would the majority of the population be staying at home pooping and flushing?

Remember the difference between main sewage and sewage tanks,..if you have a sewage tank of your own, then as long as it rains and you can collect water for flushing, then you can continue to use your toilet as normal for as long as you needed it,... nothing would change
A major part of survival is invisibility.
16 May 2013, 12:42,
Well that's a load off my mind....pun intended ..LOL... I'm relatively high compared to my surrounding area and have just ordered a compost toilet for the garden....why waste a resource :-)
16 May 2013, 20:04,
(15 May 2013, 22:32)Highlander Wrote: Remember the difference between main sewage and sewage tanks,..if you have a sewage tank of your own, then as long as it rains and you can collect water for flushing, then you can continue to use your toilet as normal for as long as you needed it,... nothing would change

Oh yes. I think people on mains sewers would lose mains water before the sewers backed up anyway. If you have your own system, there are no issues at all.
16 May 2013, 23:55,
There is always composting.

Dig a hole in the ground, sink a fire bin (metal trash can thing with loads of holes drilled in it) and then do your business into there. Keep a couple of inches of the top of the bin above ground level, and remember to have a bin lid that doesn't have holes in it. That way, when it breaks down, your pee will move nutrients into the surrounding area, while a lack of air from the lid will cause anaerobic breakdown, which is pretty much odour free!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 May 2013, 09:52,
Would it be safe to grow veg with human waste?
17 May 2013, 11:13, (This post was last modified: 17 May 2013, 11:14 by Scythe13.)
(17 May 2013, 09:52)Anything Really Wrote: Would it be safe to grow veg with human waste?

You're not planting seeds IN the poop. But the broken down nutrients seep into the soil.

Totally safe!

Earthships use the same principle in their blackwater harvest systems.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin