Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewage gases from toilets post shtf
8 March 2013, 12:15,
RE: Sewage gases from toilets post shtf
First thing to do, empty the cistern thing above the toilet. That's clean enough to drink, as long as you've not put anything inside it. That's a good 4 litres plus. After that...just leave it be, and make sure nobody uses it. If the water's off, then so be it. What you don't want to do is use the toilet and have the last flush be 4 litres of good water down the pan....literally.

After that, I think I'd close the bathroom door, then just open the bathroom window. Suddenly that room becomes a no go room, and problem solved. If you're worried about gasses getting into the house, you could use a snake shaped draught excluder along the bottom of the door. That'll fix the problem, and will stop any build-up of pressure.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 March 2013, 12:26,
my downstairs toilet will be getting sealed shut too. not just for the ventilation problems. more that its a weakpoint to the house.
people could get in through it unnoticed. easier if i just nail the window shut and nail the toilet door shut too.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
8 March 2013, 13:14,
(8 March 2013, 12:26)Luci_ferson Wrote: my downstairs toilet will be getting sealed shut too....more that its a weakpoint to the house.
people could get in through it unnoticed......nail the toilet door shut too.

Are you suggesting people will climb up your toilet? haha, sorry, couldn't resist.

People will find a way in, regardless of what you do. Best off just locking the toilet door from the house-side, and not inside the toilet, then let them deal with the stinky toilet smells!
8 March 2013, 13:17, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 13:19 by Luci_ferson.)
if they pop the boards off the toilet window i cant see them so they could get in unnoticed.
so if i nail the door shut and board it over, they can get into the toilet but nowhere else.
hopefully il leave a small hole in the boarding just incase.
so i can jab them with a nice instrument through it once theyre stuck in the toilet.

theyle either climb back out or get jabbed to death lol

its pretty much the only part of house that i cant see from somewhere else.
8 March 2013, 15:56,
(8 March 2013, 13:17)Luci_ferson Wrote: if they pop the boards off the toilet window i cant see them so they could get in unnoticed.
so if i nail the door shut and board it over, they can get into the toilet but nowhere else.

Unless your toilet is designed to take elephant poop, there's no way anyone could climb down a toilet!!!
8 March 2013, 16:02,
not down the toilet, lol
myu downstairs toilet has a window that faces a path.
i cant see this window from anywhere else in the house.
so they could remove the boards and get into the toilet room through there.
if i seal the door they will be stuck and limited to staying there or climbing back out the window.
i imagine the smell could help them decide. but if not being prodded through a hole by a nice big stick with a nail on will soon help them decide to climb back out the window,
8 March 2013, 17:12,
I'm not too concerned about the smell or build up of gases, as Luci says nearly all homes have a sewer vent that pops out above the roof to take these things away.
My big concern is what to do when Rats start to climb out of the shitter, and with rising sewage levels that is exactly what they'll do
Respect existence or expect resistance!
8 March 2013, 17:14,
(8 March 2013, 17:12)Ghost Wrote: My big concern is what to do when Rats start to climb out of the shitter, and with rising sewage levels that is exactly what they'll do

tie a bloody big bungee around the toilet, with the seat and the lid down. they wont get out then.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 March 2013, 17:16,
catch them and make burgers. bit of chilli some garlic and onion, youd never know it was a rat.
8 March 2013, 21:10,
Nasty smells from the sewers will be the least of the problems! Best thing is to seal off your toilet - it would probably not be wise to use it if the sewage was backing up - and try to set up some sort of composting toilet. It would not take long for the fermenting/decomposing sewage to become a threat to human health.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.