Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewage gases from toilets post shtf
8 March 2013, 21:47,
RE: Sewage gases from toilets post shtf
Luci, there won't be water in it mate. If there was the gases couldn't get through & we wouldn't have to block it.
8 March 2013, 21:48, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 21:50 by Luci_ferson.)
if no water in it, il be just throwing in half a bag of activated carbon and then soil on top.
ive got loads of activated carbon. (tropical fish are great)

itl stop the smells and reduce the gases.

i cant resist a bulk buy.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
8 March 2013, 21:52,
My plan now is sand down the trap & seal the top. Same for all sinks & the bathtub. If it gets to a point where things are normal again, plenty flushing through should clear it.
8 March 2013, 21:54, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 21:57 by Luci_ferson.)
same plan but with a bit of activated carbon down the toilets too.
may as well use what youve got, and I always have it anyway for the fish filters

could even bag it so its easy to remove if necessary. in an old tight.

tights are very usefull things. and filled with sand or soil they take the shape of whatever hole your plugging

filled with active carbon they will make a filter for just about anything

bit of kitty litter on the top and the jobs a good one, and all easily removable
9 March 2013, 01:01,
I love reading this!

I am on an individual septic tank, have 2,500 gallon cistern, creek running behind the house and a lake 1/4 mile from the house. Trailer and tanks to haul water from the lake if necessary and generator and pump to suck it out of the lake. I can flush indefinately.

BUT,

Since I am on a septic tank I intend to set up an "outhouse" in the back yard over the lid of the tank. solves the problem completely.

Keep water in the bowl to prevent the gases and have it there for emergency use. I am not disabling anything.
9 March 2013, 17:58,
dont you have to empty septic tanks when they get full. ive seen some that process the waste but theyre very expencive and still need the waste emptying.
9 March 2013, 18:27,
i like "soakaways", stuff goes in as solids but because the exit hole is so small it can only come out in liquid form.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 March 2013, 21:09,
I know that our septic tank will not need emptying for another twenty years, it was only emptied ten years ago, most good tanks last for about 30 yrs if they are working as they should be,..ours is an old fashioned brick one,... they don't make um like they used to

Mortblanc,... In a way, I can see the sense in going directly above the tank,... providing that you are not completely out in the open,... but you would certainly need a good gas mask

Anyone who is on a septic tank should be able to continue as if no emergency has happened, providing you can get the water to flush,.. Scotland has enough rain for this, other places might not be so lucky
A major part of survival is invisibility.
9 March 2013, 21:14,
20 years is great, but how do you empty it after 20 years. ( i know nothing about them)
9 March 2013, 21:20,
Well if we have had a big event between now and then,.. we would probably not be able to, normally a tanker would come along and pump it out, stink up the place for a day, and off it goes to where ever it goes,... how it could be emptied without that tanker gawd only knows
A major part of survival is invisibility.