Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After Society Collapses.
13 March 2013, 21:16,
RE: After Society Collapses.
We are quiet remote here, a small hamlet of seven houses, the nearest small shop is four miles away, the nearest town of any size is 50 miles away, so I don't see a problem with roaming groups, only one road in and out,...so the only people likely to be passing our house is very few,..and those people are likely to head for either Oban or the Isle of Mull.

Like you Mary, I plan life as normal as possible, we have no need to go anywhere, and we need for nothing
A major part of survival is invisibility.
13 March 2013, 21:42,
Lucky you, Highlander. We're rural but with some neighbours, but I'd like to be a bit further out into the countryside. Can't see gangs of roaming muggers/looters out our way - I'll set our raging Collie on them. The garden needs me anyway.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
13 March 2013, 21:52,
The thing we have to remember about roaming groups [ in the country at least ] is that there has to be a big need to go anywhere,.. if they are hungry, they will go to a large place where the chance of food is greatest,.. to expel a lot of energy in heading for remote places with just a few houses is not worth their while,.... even the weather will have an effect on roamers, we have seen it many time where rioters have stopped when it starts to rain,..most town folk wouldn't know to manage in the country

...... but even in towns much of the same still applies,.. if you live next door to a supermarket, then I guess that you will likely be in the firing line,... but if you are away from the main targets, like food/drink establishments, and you stay locked down, then the chances are that roamers will pass you buy looking for the next big target
13 March 2013, 21:53,
it all depends on what happens and the impact it has on the population numbers

you could see people heading out of cities in all directions... some looking for food other just trying to get away from the killing and whilst you may feel remote you may not be remote enough if society collapses... the numbers could vary greatly depending on which season the event happens. In the middle of winter a 3 day walk could be a killer but in the middle of summer it could be totally different

HL location may be remote enough but there are very few places in England that are truly remote there are more place north of the border and in areas of wales
13 March 2013, 22:04,
(13 March 2013, 21:53)I-K-E Wrote: it all depends on what happens and the impact it has on the population numbers

you could see people heading out of cities in all directions... some looking for food other just trying to get away from the killing and whilst you may feel remote you may not be remote enough if society collapses... the numbers could vary greatly depending on which season the event happens. In the middle of winter a 3 day walk could be a killer but in the middle of summer it could be totally different

HL location may be remote enough but there are very few places in England that are truly remote there are more place north of the border and in areas of wales

This is all true of course, its one of the reason we moved here, its hard to walk to, and you even need quiet a bit of petrol to drive here.

...but so as not to put anyone under any false hope,... people will move out of the cities for fear of being hurt, the roads will be full of refuges, and the weather will often determine how far they manage to get, ...but most will move towards some sort of target, another town, a military camp, or some other source of protection, not many just walk aimlessly
13 March 2013, 22:07, (This post was last modified: 13 March 2013, 22:13 by MaryN.)
I guess it comes down to whether people are actually aiming to go somewhere or just heading out in any direction. I am viewing things from just my angle, but I don't imagine that any of my neighbours (all country folk) would be too thrilled to have a load of people turn up on their doorsteps. They are a bolshy lot here in Norfolk, and I suspect any unwanted "visitors" would be given short thrift. We're still quite a walk from the nearest town.

(13 March 2013, 22:07)MaryN Wrote: I guess it comes down to whether people are actually aiming to go somewhere or just heading out in any direction. I am viewing things from just my angle, but I don't imagine that any of my neighbours (all country folk) would be too thrilled to have a load of people turn up on their doorsteps. They are a bolshy lot here in Norfolk, and I suspect any unwanted "visitors" would be given short shrift. We're still quite a walk from the nearest town.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
13 March 2013, 22:33,
If I have to bug out im hoping stuff will be in the news(wishfull thinking) a few days in advance so I can try to get out before the hoardes or im going out by boat. Benefit of the boat is I can carry more, and not worry as much about someone sneaking up on me.
13 March 2013, 23:39,
I am sure that events will be on a radio somewhere, as things start to get worse so it will be reported as it always is,..and probably well into the `troubles` too.

If its an EMP that starts it all off, then maybe there will be no normal news outlays, but if you have a radio in your Faraday cage, then you will sure to hear other people, and get reports that way

....this is where a good wind up radio will come in very handy, you will be able to pick up information from a wide area,
14 March 2013, 09:54,
there are shops in my town, small co-op, bakery, deli, small filling station...but they are IN town whereas we are NOT, we are about a mile out from the town square right on the parish boundary, hopefully any raiders will head for these places rather than go door to door. if it gets too bad we will bug out.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 March 2013, 15:52,
(13 March 2013, 22:04)Highlander Wrote: This is all true of course, its one of the reason we moved here, its hard to walk to, and you even need quiet a bit of petrol to drive here.

...but so as not to put anyone under any false hope,... people will move out of the cities for fear of being hurt, the roads will be full of refugees...

The one thing that I and my family will avoid at all costs is becoming refugees. Refugees are totally at the mercy of people stronger and/or better armed than they are. If you take the time to read up on what happens to refugees during wartime or after a natural disaster, you'll find out that this is not a situation in which you want to find yourself. Best plan IMHO is to hunker down either at home or with close relatives/friends close to home for a while.

I suspect that with today's communications and the internet, we'll have little to no warning when the shoe drops, unlike in past collapses when the banks were open and food store were stocked for two days or so after things fell apart.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!