Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic security.
8 March 2013, 17:10, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 17:44 by Luci_ferson.)
Basic security.
Simple security.

Like me , many of you will be planning on staying at home during whatever initially happens.
Having no plans to leave unless having too.
I have somewhere I plan on going to if this happens, but id rather sit it out at home first and
see how bad things are gonna get before I do anything hasty like leave.

this brings me to security, not all of us are as fit and active as we would like.
not all of us are capable of defending our property as well as others.
The only option left is to remain undetected but to do this and feal safe you need security.
You cant just board youre house up for obvious reasons. mainly it would draw attention.
Most of you will have decided to close the curtains and board up on the inside then put a big
black out curtain over the board.
ive tried this and it wasnt too successfull.
yes it blocks out all the light but it has a side affect.
for the first night everything went fine.
on second night there was condensation on the glass (seen from outside)
on the third night the window was soaked (dead give away the house was occupied)
thankfully someone on the forum suggested a layer of bubble wrap.
I went out and bought some twin wall greenhouse plastic (polycarbinate).
my set up is now.
close the blinds and put up the polycarb. then board over and then close curtains.
the result was no condesation viewable from outside even after 5 days.
I took the boarding down after 5 days, and the polycarb sheet was soaked.(still none on the window though)
Looks like I will have to regularly remember to wipe it down every few days or the window sill will rot.
but atleast i am now totally undetectable. no condensation on windows at all and my house just looks like
its got the blinds closed.
Now i had to work on security.
the rear of my house has a garden with a 6 ft fence. the front one does not.
I decided to start with the rear.(easy one)
On the top of my 6ft fence I have nailed a trellis for climbing plants all the way round.
benieth this about 2 ft down the fence I have fixed long planters to the fence.
these are roughly 3 ft long and spaced every 3 ft appart.
into the planters I have planted brambles (the wild thorney ones).
great for attracting wild birds.(the excuse i used)
These now grow along the top of my fence and the only thing keeping them under control is carefull regular
pruning.
Anyone who has dealt with brambles will know they are an invasive species and get out of control very fast.
usually choking any plants around them which is why i planted them in planters.
If the shtf these brambles would get out of control and overgrow my entire fence (theyre not far from now)
within one growing season.
sitting along the top of the trellis is carpet gripper rods also.(unseen because of brambles)

I have removed the handle from outside of the back gate and now it just looks like the rest of the fence.
no gate is visible. it can still be opened from inside but only if you unlock it, and then youd have to lift the
brambles up beore it would move. This would become my entrance and exit as the front of my house must be totally
sealed due to it facing out onto a shared drive in a grove.

I know its not much security, but anyone coming my way would have to make an awfull lot of noise before they got
anywhere near getting in .

so far the only downside is that i have to bag up all garden rubish and take it through the house as its a lot of hassle opening the gate.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
8 March 2013, 22:28,
RE: Basic security.
The problem with this kind of security is that it doesn't matter how suttle its done, it will draw attention, and the best way to stay safe is to be invisable,... I am lucky enough to have quiet a big garden that is quite heavy planted [ tall ], in this area I have built,... we like to call it `The bunker`,... its just a half dug out, half built up hidey hole that would be hard to find, as it looks for all like a raised area of my garden with a seat on the top to look out over the view

From here I can watch the house, if I think that a group of nasties are going to visit, we will bug into the hole and watch what happens,... they will not find food in the house, I am sure they will find something to pinch, but the chances are they will then leave

A note on the gate saying something like,.... `gone to the food station at *********` might also help
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 March 2013, 22:35, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 22:40 by Luci_ferson.)
nice one highlander, that sounds great , wish i had a garden like yours.
id love to just watch the house from the garden.

i might build something like that at bottom of allotment just as an extra.
thanks for the idea its a great one. id be able to see the shed/home if we needed to hide.
9 March 2013, 00:28, (This post was last modified: 9 March 2013, 00:30 by Straight Shooter.)
just had a thought HL .....dig out the poly tunnel floor ....now before you cover it...mini digger.....bug out bunker...with food.....

Although i,m sounding off....i might well do this with mine.......thinking hard now
9 March 2013, 00:32, (This post was last modified: 9 March 2013, 00:37 by Luci_ferson.)
its pretty much the same idea hes given me.
straight under the polytunnel so it can be easily hidden and its protected from getting wet .

although i wasnt planning on that big. just a little temp hiding hole. over nighter at most.

i wouldnt need a mini digger. 6ft wide 3.5ft down 4ft deep small concealed entrance. bare min as its only incase we need to hide temporary
9 March 2013, 00:38,
The more i think the better i like it luci.....if asked what you upto you can say " i,m moving the poly tunnel for more light (in my case ) .....i now have the reason....got movement in my geans....first time in ages WOW
9 March 2013, 00:39, (This post was last modified: 9 March 2013, 00:44 by Luci_ferson.)
id have to look into how hard it would be to make its entrance hidden enough before it would be worthwile.

that highlander bloke is a genious lol

my poly tunnel isnt built yet so now is the right time to plan it in.

nice one , ive sorted the concealment part out.
highlander your great.
youve just given me another little hideyhole and its gonna cost me nothing extra to make it.
thanks loads.
very much appreciated.
9 March 2013, 00:46,
I have been wondering for ages how i could get this done with a bit of stealth....and bugger me Highlander gives me the answer....mind you the way he has built his poly tunnel the walls would have to be 750mm thick to support the structure he,s built LOL
9 March 2013, 00:47, (This post was last modified: 9 March 2013, 00:52 by Luci_ferson.)
only if he built it big.
i plan on just little and lined inside with the spare breeze blocks that are laying arounf up the allotment and i thought i was gonna have to put in a skip.

mines also not under ground. its just dug down into the ground by 3.5ft. then above it is the bench that plants will be stood on
but that bench will be boxed with a secret door hidden in one corner, under the side bench.

it will look like a counter 2ft tall by 2 ft back , the full lenght of the back of the tunnel.

time for bed i think, I can visualise things better asleep lol.
its easier to build if youve already seen it.
9 March 2013, 00:56, (This post was last modified: 9 March 2013, 01:09 by Straight Shooter.)
My poly tunnel is 35ft x 12 ft ....just right.....when i resite it below ground would be 13ft down " 5ft of earth over roof....but cutting in off the existing bank......cannot be seen off the road.....oh yes this is what i will be doing ...done deal

Cheers luci ....night pal

I love this site.......idea,s abound along with solutions

And of course THANKS to Highlander...for my solution

spect the buggers sleeping

prolly dreaming of a scotty win .....joking

Feeling good....i will leave you with this thought " the good thing about masterbation is....... you have,nt got to look your best....good night