Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
To FAC or not to?
8 March 2013, 17:20,
To FAC or not to?
This might not even be in the right section 'hunting' but it is a gun section, so I figured....why not.

To get the FAC or Shotty, or not to?

Here are some lovely thoughts on the whole thing.

1. Can you get the license? For the sake of this discussion, we'll assume you are eligible for the licenses.

2. We'll assume you are fully law abiding....ish.

With those in place, let's begin the brain storming session.

The issue of security it a big one. Do you really want 'the man' or TPTB knowing about you, where you live, what weapons you have, and stuff like that?

Simple answer is, NO. But, as I'm sure I've said in another thread, you can't hide from them anyway, so stop acting like you can, or even like minimising your profile is possible. You're online at the moment, they know what you're reading and writing. You're already on the list, so deal with it.

Do you want plod coming round yearly to check your cabinet?

From those I've spoken to, only 1 visit from the police has happened to each FAC person I know, and that's the initial check for the cabinet being installed well. Plod know all your details anyway, because you're on the radar as it is, so it doesn't make much difference.

My main consideration is this:

What events will cause the loss of my gun (via confiscation) and is the outlay (financially) worth that risk?

A collapse of society won't cause the loss of the guns. When London went mad 2 years ago, the police didn't start taking guns away.
A financial collapse won't lose me a gun. The dot com boom and bust didn't see people losing their guns.
A meteor won't take my gun away.
Zombie or aliens won't either (yes, I'm playing on the ridiculous a bit haha).
A global climate shift won't see a gun cull.
Flooding doesn't, unless you're in America for the New Orleans thing.
Governmental take over....okay, that might, but it's that kind of thing I'd want a gun for.
Complete loss of law, WROL, situation, that's a societal collapse, and I think the police and army will be too busy sorting stuff out to come and get everyone's guns.
Food shortages....same as a WROL situation.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to gun up.

I look at the number of situations that will result in me losing a gun, then I look at the number of situations that I'd want to have a gun in. Then I offset both those by the likelihood of that situation occurring.

So far, unless I'm missing something obvious, it suggests that I'd rather have a FAC and a gun than not have them.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 March 2013, 17:24,
RE: To FAC or not to?
i think it depends on where anyone lives, if they live in a big city then access to a firearm may be desirable WTSHTF, but i'm not expecting that sort of trouble where i live, so its air rifles for me.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 March 2013, 17:25,
sadly some of us are unlikely to get a cert. due to previous firearms bans.(crime wasnt even gun related)

but if i could it would definately make sense to get one and do it all properly.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
8 March 2013, 17:51,
(8 March 2013, 17:25)Luci_ferson Wrote: sadly some of us are unlikely to get a cert. due to previous firearms bans.(crime wasnt even gun related)

but if i could it would definately make sense to get one and do it all properly.

well i think its good if you can get the land and back drop but heard its a pain in the ass to get the fac or shotty one
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
8 March 2013, 17:56, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 17:58 by Luci_ferson.)
i think I kinda like the idea of more traditional weapons.
crossbow.
sling.
rock bound to a bendy branch.
things that are easy to repair, and you can make yourself.
Like someone pointed out elsewhere my air rife would be mainly or small game (limited pellets)

most air rifles are slow to reload. unless you go with gas assisted. and then you need gas replacements. or a pump and pumps dont filter the air enough leading to clogging.
think il just get a better spring air rifle and save it for small game.
8 March 2013, 17:59,
Your forgetting the one big main reason that you could loose your licence.

because they want you too.

they could decide tomorrow that all firearms are banned.

Theres nothing you can do about it.

the way the worlds going this is likely at some point.

After hungerford and other associated crimes took place they decided to ban certain weapons and buy them off you for a pitiful amount.
Nowhere near the real value.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
8 March 2013, 18:00, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 18:02 by Luci_ferson.)
good point prepper1,
chances are just before anything went off, they would find an excuse to recall all weapons and youd be registered.
tptb always know something is coming before its coming. they just never let us know.

if it wasnt for the difficulty with obtaining a lic. i probably still would though.
8 March 2013, 18:34,
I believe they would be at a loss around the South West, where everyone and their dog has a shotgun or something like that.

Also, getting to all the gun owners, BEFORE something kicks off will be difficult. We don't always know when something will happen, and nor do TPTB.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 March 2013, 18:41,
we dont always know,
as for tptb
they usually have an idea.
its usually them that set it up, and watched it go off.
8 March 2013, 19:14, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 19:21 by Geordie_Rob.)
I'm hoping to get a SGC at some point this year. After that I may chance my luck for fac but I know they're stricter with those.

Just reading sky news app & there are calls for gun reform during the inquest to the taxi driver who killed 3 people & himself with legally held guns despite arrests & warnings for violent threats & threats of self harm.