Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Important kit you might have forgotten?
8 March 2013, 21:07,
Important kit you might have forgotten?
We all have our different bits and bobs that we wouldn't be without, many of them are common to all of us, a decent knife etc. However, there are bits of kit that aren't necessarily mentioned that often, but can be considered vital to some. To that end I thought I'd create a thread in homage to these bits of kit. Feel free to add your own "important, you just might need it" bits and bobs if you feel you have something worth mentioning.
I'll start with my own personal favourite, which are a decent set of Bino's. They are great for recce's and general distance surveillance and could mean the difference between life and death. Seeing a threat from distance could give you enough time to avoid it or prepare a decent defence. They could also give you time to decide whether someone is a friend or foe while you are undetected. Other uses include spotting prey when hunting etc.
The good news is that you can find frequently find a decent set at bootsales and the like, so they needn't be expensive. I picked up a great pair just like this, for the princely sum of £12.
Well that's my suggestion, what's yours?
Power to the people!
8 March 2013, 21:29,
RE: Important kit you might have forgotten?
Bow saw & spare blades, garden...spade,folk,hoe, pick shovel round nose,string line,hatchet,felling axe, hand brace&bits,folding hand saw,felling wedges....tea bags.....just for starters ...you can create shelter and grow food this lot should be a must for your kit
8 March 2013, 21:36,
(8 March 2013, 21:29)Straight Shooter Wrote: Bow saw & spare blades, garden...spade,folk,hoe, pick shovel round nose,string line,hatchet,felling axe, hand brace&bits,folding hand saw,felling wedges....tea bags.....just for starters ...you can create shelter and grow food this lot should be a must for your kit

You either have a bug out trailer or you're Sherpa Tenzing. For bugging in yes but if you needed to bug out your list might be tricky. Tea bags go without saying, that's morale and you can't put a price on that.
Power to the people!
8 March 2013, 21:38, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 21:43 by Highlander.)
Nail clippers,..silly?, how many people need to clip their toe nails to preserve their socks,..and socks are important.

Needle and thread, for those who forgot the nail clippers

Wool and knitting needles for those who forgot the nail clippers and the needle and thread

A sheep for those who forgot the nail clippers, the needle and thread and the wool and knitting needles
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 March 2013, 21:46,
(8 March 2013, 21:38)Highlander Wrote: Nail clippers,..silly?, how many people need to clip their toe nails to preserve their socks,..and socks are important.

Wool and knitting needles for those who forgot the nail clippers and the needle and thread

A sheep for those who forgot the nail clippers, the needle and thread and the wool and knitting needles

Good call, ingrowing toenails could a real problem and nail clippers are so small and light there's no real overhead. I have a Leatherman with a very sharp pair of scissors so that base is covered.
Power to the people!
8 March 2013, 21:48,
I have quiet a few tin openers in my stores, both the turn handle type and the more simple thumb pressure type that the Army use
8 March 2013, 21:50,
How about a way to wash your clothes?

I like to collect old hand tools wherever I see them. Last item i got was a old fashioned hand drill, picked up at a thrift store for $10, which i think is like 5 pounds.
8 March 2013, 21:54,
There is a good threat on site somewhere about luxury items, many of those fall into this thread too, we often think too much about our `survival` stores, yet we forget things like, books, coloring books and crayons for children, magazines, games, puzzles,.. these things are also part of survival,...... surviving is as much about moral as anything else
8 March 2013, 22:01,
Wolfie , all those things i listed are in my BOV at all times ...sounds alot i know but its not that much room ....forgot the bolt crops....bugger
8 March 2013, 22:02, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 22:04 by Luci_ferson.)
(8 March 2013, 21:38)Highlander Wrote: Nail clippers,..silly?, how many people need to clip their toe nails to preserve their socks,..and socks are important.

that was bracken wasnt it.
it was far too logical to have been a man

(8 March 2013, 21:48)Highlander Wrote: I have quiet a few tin openers in my stores, both the turn handle type and the more simple thumb pressure type that the Army use

i have one of the army ones in my jackets lining, and another on my keyring.
i cant use other tin openers. weve got two of the larger army style ones in the kitchen drawer that we use daily.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson