Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini Pigs
10 March 2013, 18:59,
Mini Pigs
It seems there is a new craze around for rich celebrities to get involved in. Mini Pigs. http://www.minipetpigs.com/ Although they have been around for several years it is only now that celebrities are using them as pets that people are becoming aware.

There Pigs the size, by my reckoning, of a guinea pig are real pigs specially bred for size.

This could fill a niche area in our preps. We all want meat but pork involved getting a massive animal which was difficult to keep. You would have difficulty hiding pigs. Now this way you can have port and in a very efficient way. No longer would you kill and animal and have to store the meat as a matter of course but like chickens you could eat one in a meal.

Mmmm. Bacon in a form easily kept.

Must be worth considering.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 March 2013, 19:27,
RE: Mini Pigs
Not all micopigs turned out to be micro, and people paid out large amounts of money to end up with a large hog.
10 March 2013, 19:28,
great find SD thanks
10 March 2013, 21:15, (This post was last modified: 10 March 2013, 21:15 by Luci_ferson.)
(10 March 2013, 19:27)Metroyeti Wrote: Not all micopigs turned out to be micro, and people paid out large amounts of money to end up with a large hog.

if you keep looking further into them it turns out that of all the micropigs sold only a few ever stayed micro, some even outgrew a normal pig.

I looked into them cos my misses wanted one.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
11 March 2013, 00:17,
If you can not look at a piglet and see it is of normal size and not "micro" you deserve to be eaten out of house and home by some creature aproximately the size of a Morris Mini. A micro sow is not going to give birth to a 5 pound piglet!

If you come across pigs in TWOTWAWKI situation eat what you need immidiately and simply turn the rest loose. They will forage and thrive and supply meat indefinately. At least hey always have down through history, i do not see why they would not even teday in Ehgland.

Small livestock needs to have a quick use cycle. If the micropigs require the same time rate for maturity then they will be very inefficient, requiring feed for several months.

Chickens, rabbits and such are usually ready to eat at 8-12 weeks. They also reproduce at fastrer rates.

One of the things we find here in the States is that pigs will thrive under adverse conditions. They return to ferral instantly, breed uncontrolably. Even in our colonial days the woods were filled with wild hogs and they provided more "wild meat" then our deer. Oddly, what we today refer too as a "Kentucky rifle" was in the old days briken into two groups. Small bore guns called squirrel rifles, and large bore guns they refered too as "hog rifles".

We are overrun in many areas by ferral hogs. They are considered vermin and require no liscense or permit for hunting. We even have large farms in some states that will put you up for the weekend, feed you three good meals a day and all they ask in return is that you kill a hog. You can even keep the meat.
11 March 2013, 20:43,
As a child in the fifties i remember well eating rabbits.....and spitting out the buck shot ...dads sighting should have been a bit more in front of the target.....later we kept rabbits ( flemish giants ) MB i got fed up of rabbits lol ...we did move on th chichens though.... thank to lord..... and i still do....may go back to rabbits now ..you do make sense
12 August 2013, 19:33,
we had a Vietnamese pot bellied pig called grumpy arse when i was a kid,what they don`t tell you is the only reason they are potbellied and small in vietnam is because there half starved Smile he was the bigest pig ive ever seen!