Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shrimping
16 March 2013, 11:39,
Shrimping
I enjoy doing this every Summer and you can get a good feed off shrimps. If you "pot" them they will last for a while and can make a great put away preserve. It is great fun catching them and you rarely come away empty handed. As well as Shrimp you sometimes get suprisingly big "Flatties" in your net. The only downside is that you also get Weaver Fish and I have been unfortunate enough to have been stung by one and can say it is the worst pain I have ever experienced.
16 March 2013, 12:37,
RE: Shrimping
I've looked for cheap suppliers of shrimp nets but can't find one. I fancy giving it a go. Cheers for the heads up about weavers, never considered them.
16 March 2013, 14:23,
used to go shrimping as a kid when parents has a seaside chalet, havent done it for years, we are 30 miles from the coast here so cant just "pop" down.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 March 2013, 15:49,
(16 March 2013, 12:37)Geordie_Rob Wrote: I've looked for cheap suppliers of shrimp nets but can't find one. I fancy giving it a go. Cheers for the heads up about weavers, never considered them.
Don't bother buying one mate make one. There are plenty of designs online and are dead easy to knock up. Be very carefull of weaver fish as I gaurantee you will get one in your net. Take a pair of pliers and grab the little twats with them and hoy em back in sharpish. If you kill them and leave on the beach etc, they are still poisonouse!!. I had a largish crab in the net and as I went to get it, it moved and there was a weaver fish underneath and it stung me on the thumb knuckle. My whole arm swole up like fekin Popeye and the pain is indescribable. There used to be a good supplier online I'll see if I can find link.
16 March 2013, 15:58,
Im after a lobster pot, im new to fishing but im hooked.

Never heard of the weever, but heres a link about them http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weever

Tartar did you have to go to the drs about your arm? And how long did it take to recover?
16 March 2013, 16:40,
Metro, I used to be in a sea angling club when I was younger & a guy got stung by 1. He ended up in A&E.

If member knows of any shrimp push net suppliers & could provide details, I'd be very grateful.
16 March 2013, 16:53,
Sounds like the weaver fish could be used as a deterrent in a shtf scenario....just not sure how though
16 March 2013, 16:57,
(16 March 2013, 15:58)Metroyeti Wrote: Im after a lobster pot, im new to fishing but im hooked.

Never heard of the weever, but heres a link about them http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weever

Tartar did you have to go to the drs about your arm? And how long did it take to recover?
No I never went to quacks, my owld Gimmer next door neighbour told me to hold a hot teabag on the area n have a good shot for the pain. They both worked fine, but it took three or four days for the swelling to go down. These fish are in waist deep water, and even now if I go in the Sea I wear trainers/boots etc.
16 March 2013, 18:06,
When I googled it did say they were having a population increase. Thanks for the heads up on these critters
16 March 2013, 18:33,
Sounds to me like a moat with these in would be a good deterrent
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin