Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City centre escape
17 March 2013, 22:10,
RE: City centre escape
If you do work in a city centre, you should invest in a bike.On 7/7 the transport system in london shut down, so having an alternative way of getting out of the centre is a must.
17 March 2013, 23:30, (This post was last modified: 17 March 2013, 23:39 by Mosstrooper.)
(17 March 2013, 16:47)Scythe13 Wrote: WOO, free bike!!! Steel framed bikes, left over night, are easy pickings.

I'd be careful with that. Only problem I see with it, you'd have to carry all the spares around with you, stuff like handlebars, saddles, puncture repair kit, new inner tubes, and a pump. Possibly a bike tool and grease too. Could cache it near by though. Unless you take it out for regular servicing and use.

considering that the bike has been in place for 18 months without any problems (not even a flat) and would be last bike on anyones list due to the state that looks.
i ride a bike daily and dont carry a saddle or handle bars as sparesHuh

most city centres do some form of bicycle hire or cycle scheme which could provide an option.
18 March 2013, 10:11,
(17 March 2013, 23:30)Mosstrooper Wrote: considering that the bike has been in place for 18 months without any problems (not even a flat) and would be last bike on anyones list due to the state that looks.
i ride a bike daily and dont carry a saddle or handle bars as sparesHuh

In Warrington, saddle, handlebars, and anything that could come off, will come off!!! I guess it depends what city and, as you said, what the bike looks like.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 March 2013, 10:14,
the problem is, any bike not under your control and in your person possession 100% of the time, might just NOT be there at the very time you need it, i wouldnt take the chance myself but hey!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 March 2013, 16:08,
A couple of weekends ago me and the missus where wandering along one of our bug out routes when we spotted a bike chained up , nothing unusual there you might say?..well this one was up a tree!!
Well hidden in the summer due to foliage and who wants to climb a tree in winter? A perfect prep me thinks! I wonder who's it is?
Respect existence or expect resistance!
18 March 2013, 16:52,
I think its a really good idea. I too would be concerned about vandals, but 18 months is pretty good.
It is one I will seriously consider, if I get a job in Portsmouth again. I would look to keep the bike actually at work if I could get away with it though.
18 March 2013, 16:55,
I have seen some trashed bikes but you would be surprised by the amount left alone.
18 March 2013, 18:53,
I lived in one town that had a "bike program."

Citizens donated old unused bikes and any bike left in the trash was collected by the "monbacks" and taken to the local jail, where the inmates won early release points by rebuilding the bikes.

The bikes were then painted what we over here refer too as "taxicab yellow", a truly horrid color.

The bikes were left in racks scattered around the town. If you need one then take it, leave it out on the sidewalk and the next garbage pickup would snag it and take it back to the racks. If it had a flat or repair need it went back to the jail for a fix.

Bike theft came to a screaching hault.

It was a university town and the bikes were a popular transportaton alternative for young and old.
18 March 2013, 21:27, (This post was last modified: 18 March 2013, 21:28 by I-K-E.)
this thread has got me thinking about getting the bike back into service and leaving it my office at work

if something happens and the car is screwed then assuming I can find a country lane back home it should make getting back alot quick than walking the whole 30-40 miles

the only problem I'd need it a home to get back into cycling again
19 March 2013, 12:10,
(18 March 2013, 21:27)I-K-E Wrote: this thread has got me thinking about getting the bike back into service and leaving it my office at work

if something happens and the car is screwed then assuming I can find a country lane back home it should make getting back alot quick than walking the whole 30-40 miles

the only problem I'd need it a home to get back into cycling again

Get a GoPed for the car. Should cover 40 miles on a tank (maybe a little extra fuel cached along the way)