Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Motorbike as a BOV, help please.
17 March 2013, 16:53,
Motorbike as a BOV, help please.
Okay, this is one of the things I'm thinking about.

Obviously, we are nearly all assuming the roads will be locked out and we'll all be unable to use the roads.

One thought I've been playing with it a simple idea....a motorbike. You can fit panniers to it as a way to store kit and extra fuel. Upkeep will be reasonable, and it'll provide much more manoeuvrability.

Anyone got any suggestions for me on what I should be going for?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 March 2013, 17:00,
RE: Motorbike as a BOV, help please.
Something that can handle rough roads and off road if need be Big Grin
17 March 2013, 17:14, (This post was last modified: 17 March 2013, 17:15 by Metroyeti.)
Husaberg do mean offroaders

Me mams ex used to use his in the snow and always got to work
17 March 2013, 17:24,
LOOK AT EXPEDITION MOTORCYCLES
Failure is NOT an option
17 March 2013, 17:39,
if the roads are blocked where are you going on it? depending on time of year flooding could be a consideration, unless you go for a lightweight 200cc job the larger ones are very heavy, ever tried picking up a large motorbike when youve come off it?? bloody hernia job!!!Big Grin you may be better off with a quad instead-more surface to attach things to.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 March 2013, 20:14,
i think 125 to 200cc two stroke will go on for ever ,think you can get 200cc two stroke must be off road
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
17 March 2013, 20:14,
Maybe one of the pre 2005 Yamaha xts. They tend to be bulletproof 600 cc singles.

Suzuki drz400s are good too. But the seat is tiny and I doubt you'd find anywhere to fit panniers.
17 March 2013, 20:23,
I regret the day i sold my montessa...no good as a mule though but will go ANYWHERE....go for ex army trials/ scout ....check out auctions...ebay ...the bonus is they come with camo colours and paniers and top rack/box
17 March 2013, 21:44,
(17 March 2013, 17:39)bigpaul Wrote: if the roads are blocked where are you going on it? depending on time of year flooding could be a consideration, unless you go for a lightweight 200cc job the larger ones are very heavy, ever tried picking up a large motorbike when youve come off it?? bloody hernia job!!!Big Grin you may be better off with a quad instead-more surface to attach things to.

Quad would be too wide to get between cars in a trafficed gridlock style situation. Also, the max speed wouldn't be anywhere near that of a bike.

Fair point about flooding though.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 March 2013, 22:04,
There's a fairly good selection of modern, military surplus motorcycles from Countries like France on ebay.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8