Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of archery is this?
18 March 2013, 17:42,
What kind of archery is this?
Just remembered something interesting from the film HERO, with Jet Lee.

Just curious, but also am up for trying it out......if I can find out more about the kind of bows used...but what kind of archery is this (what's the name of it)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3DUJn9iH_k

and before you say it, don't say it's Hollywood Archery, because I remember hearing stories of monks doing the same back when I was a kid.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 March 2013, 20:47,
RE: What kind of archery is this?
if you think i am coming down to devon to carry your arrows s13 ....you can think again.....think wifey fancies the sit down job though....no idea pal
18 March 2013, 20:56,
Ganggang style?
19 March 2013, 00:20, (This post was last modified: 19 March 2013, 00:58 by SecretPrepper.)
I am guessing the draw weight made it impossible to shoot unless you used the big leg muscles. So you can send arrows further and not be as close to the enemy. Have you looked at anchient chinese military tactics. might be something about it there/

according to this forum it was exaggerated by hollywood http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_po...?TID=23038

the guys says about the Han

Kind of. Hero wasn't exactly accurate when portraying them. I don't these these type of Archers existed during the Qin, but according to Han murals, they existed during the Han. The archers would sit and use their legs to draw a crossbow. However, they would still stand up to shoot the crossbow. The movie shows them shooting in a sitting position, as well as taking two people to reload. This is inaccurate.

After some research on this forum http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.p...70&&page=2

i think it was an ebelished story of bows that could be shot from far away and pierce armor. There are incredible weights for bows and from what i understand a lot of history from that time was recorded in song so hard to get details.

If you want to make one i think you would need bamboo and a crank to pull back with. no idea what you could use for string
19 March 2013, 10:14,
Hollywood pretty much sums it up though, as they are showing a trick shot. Shooting a foot bow does have some historical provenance, but it was never really popular nor part of the Qin/manchu Archery tradition. The chinese made excellent composite bows and crossbows powerfull enough to be shot normally without having to revert to shooting with their feet.
19 March 2013, 10:40,
(19 March 2013, 10:14)Tartar Horde Wrote: Hollywood pretty much sums it up though, as they are showing a trick shot. Shooting a foot bow does have some historical provenance, but it was never really popular nor part of the Qin/manchu Archery tradition. The chinese made excellent composite bows and crossbows powerfull enough to be shot normally without having to revert to shooting with their feet.

but the arrow storm must of been like that ,imagine faceing that lot
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
19 March 2013, 11:13,
(19 March 2013, 10:40)Barneyboy Wrote:
(19 March 2013, 10:14)Tartar Horde Wrote: Hollywood pretty much sums it up though, as they are showing a trick shot. Shooting a foot bow does have some historical provenance, but it was never really popular nor part of the Qin/manchu Archery tradition. The chinese made excellent composite bows and crossbows powerfull enough to be shot normally without having to revert to shooting with their feet.

The Arrow storm would be pretty much like that. For instance reports from the battlefield of Agincourt describe the sky being darkened by the thousands of English arrows which fell like rain.
If you take the number of English Longbowmen to be 5000 (numbers range from 5-7k as no definative answer) at agincourt, give them a rate of fire of Eight arrows a minute (this is well within parameters so the number of arrows shot could be a lot higher. The French would have seen 40,000 arrows coming at them every minute, or 700+ every second.
Now the Qin had tens of thousands of both foot and mounted archers so the numbers of arrows would be in the hundreds of thousands coming at you. You would need a big fekin shield for that boysBig Grin
19 March 2013, 20:02,
(19 March 2013, 11:13)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(19 March 2013, 10:40)Barneyboy Wrote:

The Arrow storm would be pretty much like that. For instance reports from the battlefield of Agincourt describe the sky being darkened by the thousands of English arrows which fell like rain.
If you take the number of English Longbowmen to be 5000 (numbers range from 5-7k as no definative answer) at agincourt, give them a rate of fire of Eight arrows a minute (this is well within parameters so the number of arrows shot could be a lot higher. The French would have seen 40,000 arrows coming at them every minute, or 700+ every second.
Now the Qin had tens of thousands of both foot and mounted archers so the numbers of arrows would be in the hundreds of thousands coming at you. You would need a big fekin shield for that boysBig Grin

i think a little bit of poo would come outSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!