Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On your person
17 November 2011, 19:54,
On your person
Took the dogs to the vets and dropped my guard somewhat and managed to lock the keys in the vehicle- all the keys. Wallet, torch, phone - all the usuals - in the smock pockets, along withthe first aid etc etc BUT no spare key. Result=stuffed and a three hour wait for the rescue to come from over 20 miles away. Also spousal anger and red face etc etc. made me ponder - just what do others carry as a matter of routine, and how/where. Suggestions welcome as for me this is a very current preoccupation!!!Huh
17 November 2011, 20:37,
RE: On your person
I EDC every day carry as a matter of course
Lock knife pants
Flashlight jacket
Watch (analougue) wrist
mini compass jacket
lighter jacket
shades face or top of head
Gerber artifact on keyring attached to car keys
wallet with credit card tool pants thigh pocket
cell phone pants

The further I venture the more I add, like a bandana, light stick, notebook and sharpy,
Then I often carry an EDC bag with more kit including ration bars, radio, spare batts, FAK, Spork, multi tool, OS Landranger Maps, tactical gloves, hat etc

When I travel to distant cities I carry even more like a hiking pole and a fixed blade knife, extra rations etc

18 November 2011, 00:16,
a mini ray mears in one pocket and bear grallys in the other lol
will post proper details when i have more time but small torch and card tool in wallet in coat pocket with survival tin, watch analogue with compass on wrist and kubtan on keys (self defence tool) thats all i need to carry the rest in the car
to win the war, you must be willing to die
18 November 2011, 10:02,
Lock knife, multitool, small digicam, bottle of water, lighter, candle, space blanket, small first aid kit. all carried in a smallish bag never go out with out it.
18 November 2011, 11:07,
Wallet: cash and card, lock knife in pouch on belt, house and other keys on (long)chain attached to belt, mobile phone-in pocket, car keys in pocket(has electronic central locking), paracord bracelet with button compass fitted to it, bandana in pocket. when going long distance take my GHB.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 November 2011, 12:17,
A lot of people mentioning lock knives.
Lock knives are not legal pocket knives. You need a "good reason" to carry one.
A non-locking knive with a blade not more than three inches is legal to carry without a reason.

A good reason is job related, carrying it becuase your job (or recreation) needs it is only acceptable if you are on the way to or from said job/recreation. Calling into the shops on your way home with a lock knife is illegal.
Carying a lock knife in work if you can't justify having a lock knife in work is illegal.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
18 November 2011, 12:24,
(18 November 2011, 12:17)Skvez Wrote: A lot of people mentioning lock knives.
Lock knives are not legal pocket knives. You need a "good reason" to carry one.
A non-locking knive with a blade not more than three inches is legal to carry without a reason.

A good reason is job related, carrying it becuase your job (or recreation) needs it is only acceptable if you are on the way to or from said job/recreation. Calling into the shops on your way home with a lock knife is illegal.
Carying a lock knife in work if you can't justify having a lock knife in work is illegal.

got to find mine first- its not obvious on first glance!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 November 2011, 12:49,
Leatherman, small first kit, wind-up torch, pen / paper, cards / cash, encapsulated copy of photo page of passport, compass, sunglasses, cap, space blanket.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
18 November 2011, 12:57, (This post was last modified: 18 November 2011, 12:58 by Skvez.)
(18 November 2011, 12:24)bigpaul Wrote: got to find mine first [Lock knice] - its not obvious on first glance!
If you're content carrying a concealed weapon …

The rites of the police to stop and search are increased every year.
If you were involved in another incident (lets say someone attacked you and you defended yourself) even if you didn't use the knife you could still find yourself arrested for possession of an illegal weapon and it might be enough to get the police a search warrant for your home.
When they search your home I expect they'll find some of your preps (you can't have everything hidden all the time) which might be enough for them to tag a worse charge onto you.
The legal system long ago stopped being about justice and has become about making money (for lawyers) and meeting targets (for the police).

It's a risk you may be willing to take but I wanted to be sure that others reading this thread were aware that it is a risk
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
18 November 2011, 14:01, (This post was last modified: 18 November 2011, 14:09 by NorthernRaider.)
Most multi tools have three ich locking blades but they dont get the bad press, I've been carrying 3, 4 and 6 inch blade lock knives for 40 years, without trouble, buit naturally I dont go nightclubbing with one.

I dont know anyone personally prepper or otherwise who has EVER had their home searched either, but then again I saw the writing on the wall long ago and moved well away from the larger towns and cities, and the cops out here are either absent, non existant or dont care what a smartly dressed polite adult man is carrying. Around here you see the teens almost weekly bimbling along with sleeved air rifle over the shoulder, skinning knife on the belt and lurcher or JR on the lead and again they dont interest the police.

I think environment places a massive role on how your cops react and what you should carry. EG when I go on the rare and unwelcome visits inside the m25 I play the grey man, I'll wear a suit and carry a cordura attache case with my EDC gear, If I'm passing through London etc I'll make it as blatently and plainly obvious as possible that I'm heading for the countryside by dressing with Goretex jacket, Rucksack, Hiking pole, hiking shoes etc that states openly that I'm probably carrying camping gear including knives, hatchets, saws, prybars etc. During the time in the city I transfer my pocketknife into my BOB or Rucksack and carry a telescopic hiking pole instead which is every bit as handy as a knife for defence.

At the end of the day the choice and responsibility is down to ourselves, and push come to shove I would rather end up being tried by 12 of my peers than be carried by 6 of them.

As a slight aside I know that many of my former colleagues now srving in the CP and security industries have stpped carrying larger lock knives. but what they do tend to carry is
A A Multi Tool
B A smaller handy 2 inch blade
C A Tactical Alloy flashlight with vicious serrated bezel which doubles up as a blade, kubotan and torch all in one.

Its rather odd sitting in the Legion watching someone sharpening the edge of a flashlight !!!!!
Lets be honest and give the woodentops a bit of credit as well, if you live in a borough where nearly every member of certain ethnic groups by default join gangs and carry knives, who manage to stab over 250 of their fellow citizens each year the plods are going to be far more proactive in stopping and searching them. Same with footy fans. BUT go to the Game fair or County Show, or Wilderness Gathering and if you are not wearing a big bloody blade you are a minority. But if you go into town that night wearing a beast of a blade you deserve to be arrested.

Up here last november I came across a plodette dealing with an injured Labrador that had been hit by a car, the dog got knocked sideways into a hedge and its long extender leash was totally tangled up in the hedge, in the dark and in the poring rain. The plodette asked the growing bunch of people gathering if anyone had a knife and torch and I reckon at least 5 people including me produced blades or lights and the plodette did not bat an eyelid.

Environment , your appearance and behaviour in general govern if you get stopped and searched, but I'll admit the govt paranoia over knives has stopped me from using public transport systems.