Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being careful about online communication
24 March 2013, 20:43,
Being careful about online communication
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ng-PM.html

You couldn't make some of these stories up but they do highlight just how much surveillance of peoples' everyday chat is occurring
Facebook is a real minefield for the unguarded/stupid comment
Last week there were reports of how an accurate profile of a person can be generated from the analysis of a persons like/dislike votes
I can't understand the public love affair with FB

We seem to me to be drifting ever further into Orwell's dystopian future
Saying very little leads to a visit by the constabulary. It presents a bleak future for our future generations.
24 March 2013, 21:00, (This post was last modified: 24 March 2013, 21:01 by Metroyeti.)
RE: Being careful about online communication
Mates recently joined the army and there telling everyone if you use facebooj make sure its on strictest privacy setting aparantly the ira used it to track a soldier and tried to place a carbomb

This happened last year, not sure how true it is or if its scare mongering.
24 March 2013, 21:03,
FB is the same as any other means of on-line communications,... you can use it safely, if you only put on what you want people to know,... they cant find out anything other than what you write/like or share

I use FB to keep in touch with family, but I do not use any of the games, or apps of any kind, I don't `like`or `share`, I very rarely make a comment other than as a private message to a family member.... if you keep to these rules then its fine
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 March 2013, 21:33,
Isn't all forms of internet dangerous? I know banking is.
I also know email has hidden bits with your address but what about other things?
My friend tried to teach me anonymous surfing. Too complicated.
So now I only send what I don't mind anyone reading.
Like here now.
Meg.
24 March 2013, 21:40,
(24 March 2013, 21:33)Nutmeg Wrote: Isn't all forms of internet dangerous? I know banking is.
I also know email has hidden bits with your address but what about other things?
My friend tried to teach me anonymous surfing. Too complicated.
So now I only send what I don't mind anyone reading.
Like here now.
Meg.

Many people will agree with you, but I am not sure,... most information on you has been out there since you were born starting with your social security number, followed by almost everything you have ever done since.

So I don't believe what you say in your first sentence, but completely agree with your last sentence
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 March 2013, 21:56,
Oh goodness, I hate Facebook. I simply do not understand what prompts people to disclose their private lives to complete strangers. Why would you do that? Not to mention the fact that some people seem to get their kicks by poisonous baiting of vulnerable members. I barely use my mobile phone .... it's an emergency in the car only aid.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
25 March 2013, 00:16,
And there was I thinking that I was the only person who used a mobile phone as a phone when I went out or in the car. The name says it all - mobile.
As for Facebook and all the other 'social media' thingies I have serious reservations about these.
This is about as sociable as I get online.
25 March 2013, 00:25, (This post was last modified: 25 March 2013, 00:30 by Luci_ferson.)
if you knew half the stuff the mobile facebook app has access too youd never use it.
sick of trying to stop my misses using it
especially when it auto tags me as being with her in such and such a place.
id rather the world didn't know where I was stood.

if youv got the app on the phone, uninstall it and then reinstall it. read the agreement.
it wants access to your gprs. your phone book contacts. your entire directory. and your sms messages. I can understand it needing to send you an sms, but not read the ones from others.
why the hell does facefook need all that info.

even if her friends visit.
it comes up as at my house with me, and shows a map of where theyre at.
and if you try asking them to stop it or telling them youd rather it didn't do it.
they think your insane. its got to be ok cos everyone does it.
what harm can it do ?
well it urinates me off for a start.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
25 March 2013, 01:13,
(24 March 2013, 21:00)Metroyeti Wrote: Mates recently joined the army and there telling everyone if you use facebooj make sure its on strictest privacy setting aparantly the ira used it to track a soldier and tried to place a carbomb

This happened last year, not sure how true it is or if its scare mongering.

That seems realistic to me, if i was in the armed forces,police etc i wouldn't let anyone know who didn't need to know.
25 March 2013, 11:26, (This post was last modified: 25 March 2013, 11:27 by Luci_ferson.)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ng-PM.html

that woman is lucky she didn't say what everyone else was thinking.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson