Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Weight Limit
26 September 2013, 00:38,
RE: Weight Limit
It's good to see this thread alive again.

At the Dartmoor camp we had a lot of people try out gear and a lot of views changed.

The lighter the better, in my view, but the only way you can really sort out the weight, get out and try your kit out.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 September 2013, 01:37, (This post was last modified: 26 September 2013, 01:39 by CharlesHarris.)
(25 September 2013, 23:17)Timelord Wrote: My "Pro-Force" 88 litre rucksack weighs 3Kg on it's own.... Ridiculous!!!!!
I have since sourced other dirt cheap older kit that weighs far less.

An 88 L pack is unnecessary. In the US most packs recommended for Search and Rescue work are in the 2000-2500 cubic-inch, or 35-40L range of capacity. This link has good general info on choosing a pack:

http://traildog.hypermart.net/faq_sar_equipment.html

(26 September 2013, 01:37)CharlesHarris Wrote: [quote='Timelord' pid='71861' dateline='1380147442']
My "Pro-Force" 88 litre rucksack weighs 3Kg on it's own.... Ridiculous!!!!!
I have since sourced other dirt cheap older kit that weighs far less.

An 88 L pack is unnecessary. In the US most packs recommended for Search and Rescue work are in the 2000-2500 cubic-inch, or 35-40L range of capacity. My own BOB is an internal frame ruck of 1500 cubic-inch or about 25L capacity. This link has good general info on choosing a pack:

http://traildog.hypermart.net/faq_sar_equipment.html

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
26 September 2013, 09:49,
I get where you're coming from CH, but there's much more to choosing a pack than just looking at the SaR purposes.

Let's look at this hypothetical situation. I'm sure TL won't mind me using him for this exercise. Please note, this is not necessarily accurate information about TL.

1. TL is a family man. Let's say he has the average of 2 children...ages 3 and 5.
2. TL is a healthy man and is used to yomping.
3. TL plans to bug out for 7 days.
4. TL has had to prep alone because his wife doesn't like him prepping.
5. TL's wife has a slight lower back problem.

Right, let's have a look at this.

Firstly, with Mrs TL's back issue, she can't carry much. Maybe a small bag with some child essentials. Okay, there's that sorted, and her out of the 'able bodied assistance' category.
Secondly, kids. Rumour has it that they don't come equipped with panniers or any other kind of massed equipment holding functions. There's them out of the 'able bodied assistance' category too. Useless little critters (I joke).
Thirdly...oh wait, whose going to carry the tent, sleeping equipment, week's worth of food, water, clothing, etc? Well volunteered TL!!! Now, get that tent...because a Basha for a small child is not always a wise idea...3 sleeping bags (kids can share because they're small), cook set, and all the rest and get it all into a 25litre bag?
WHAT?!?!? TL, can't you fit it all in there? You silly goose! How about using a 45litre?
I don't care if it's winter mate, and you have to get all three of your 4 season sleepers into the bag. Why not fit it to the outside of the bag anyway?
Are you serious TL?!?!? What do you mean not enough space on the outside of the bag?!?! Are you even trying mate?
Okay, how about an 85-90 litre bag? Is that any better Mr I Have To Carry Everything?
TL, why are you smiling? Oh that's why. Because it fits.

Great work TL. Bet you're glad you have that massive bag now?

I do get where you're coming from CH, but there are many more considerations to look into.

And everyone knows all TiimeLords have a tardis. He should have just used that, the silly chickenhead.

Different bags for different people. Even more confusingly, different bags for the same person, but for different situations.

It's like I've said before about using a BOB as a GHB. We were in Dartmoor and I asked the guys there. I think it was pretty unanimous, you really can't travel far with a big BOB quickly. For a GHB you want something small and mobile. The only people I think that could travel with a pretty big BOB for any distance is MikeA and Arnie (from the forum, whom I've not seen for a while), and I only say that because MikeA does it for a job, and Arnie is 6'4" and each step he takes is like 15 meters long haha.
26 September 2013, 10:03,
Just weighed my BOB and it's 30% of my weight.

Hmmm, time for BOB to go on a diet methinks... Rolleyes
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
26 September 2013, 10:13,
(26 September 2013, 10:03)Nix Wrote: Just weighed my BOB and it's 30% of my weight.

Hmmm, time for BOB to go on a diet methinks... Rolleyes

Have you tried it out yet mate?

If you do, you'll quickly realise what you can drop and what you need to keep.

The main weight will be from sleeping bag, tent, and the bag itself. Those allow the largest weight cutting.

I think I'll make this into a main post on the forum, but I hope this gives you a quick idea.
26 September 2013, 10:44,
My new pack weighs 7lbs, and that's just the pack.

Like me, it's damn sexy, so I'm happy to put up with the weight
26 September 2013, 10:51,
if your worried about weight, get a FRAMED rucksack and let the frame carry the weight.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 September 2013, 10:59,
(26 September 2013, 10:51)bigpaul Wrote: if your worried about weight, get a FRAMED rucksack and let the frame carry the weight.

That just distributes the weight better, still weighs the same.
And they're not sexy. Sexiness is vital in a SHTF situation.
26 September 2013, 11:01,
and that also adds the weight of the frame. Although with the weight being spread it seems lighter.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 September 2013, 11:06,
works for me, as an older person with a sometimes problem back I need all the edge I can get!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.