Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling fellow city dwellers
26 March 2013, 09:56,
Calling fellow city dwellers
I am new here but I dont think I am wrong.
I get the idea that all you think that survival in a city is to hard.

How many here live in a big city? There is so much to be found in a city.
Yes it is dangerous at times but to escape to the country would be impossible without crossing really bad parts where guns and knives are used every day. Even the police wont get out of their cars there during the day let alone night time.

Take London. From the center to outside is 20 miles minimum.
No tube, no trains, no buses, no car, and you want to walk out?
You must be joking. Use a bike? You really are joking now.

I would also be unsure how to live in the country.
Except for trips to the coast the countryside seems like open spaces with not much there.
Within a mile of me is all sorts of things. Hospitals, chemists, warehouses, shops. When you look at what I can find, and what you seem to want to eat (roots and berries), unless I cant breath the air, why move.

Most city livers know how to survive.
Street awareness? We call that everyday living.

Perhaps you need a section purely on city survival.
Meg.
26 March 2013, 10:17,
RE: Calling fellow city dwellers
well Meg the best thing to do if your not sure about the country is get out there and have a look around Smile

i dunno what the rules are like down in englandshire, but up here, as long as you are sensible, you can pitch a tent almost anywhere!

The city would be my last resort......

i think the key is bug out early, if its not so bad you can always return, if you leave it too late, then you have a lot of different problems to contend with!
26 March 2013, 10:37,
I live in londonistan and i am under no illusions of my odds of survival,If i was to bug out im not 20 miles from the m25 im about 13/14 miles and would have to go through some serious shitholes not that i dont live in oneBig Grin
But for me its about being invisible to survive,if i had to bug out id do it early in a event or not at all.
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
26 March 2013, 11:11,
Meg, I live in a town & don't plan on going anywhere. I suppose it comes down to what you're planning for. Personally I'm planning for economic downfall (a lot more severe than witnessed in the last 5 years) & the hardships & social unrest that goes with it. I also have supplies for a short term loss of utilities (I think upto a week max during cold weather, a lot longer during milder weather).

My preps will also come in handy for things I never planned on (freak weather, unemployment etc..).

Some people are prepping for a total collapse of civilisation & think a built up area full of hungry angry people is the last place they want to be.

Nobody can tell you that you're right or wrong as nobody can predict the future. You just have to look at the risks & decide which you think is most likely to happen & more importantly, which are most likely to affect you & your family if you have any.

Hope it helps you out.
26 March 2013, 12:31, (This post was last modified: 26 March 2013, 12:33 by BeardyMan.)
(26 March 2013, 09:56)Nutmeg Wrote: I am new here but I dont think I am wrong.

1st mistake

(26 March 2013, 09:56)Nutmeg Wrote: Take London. From the center to outside is 20 miles minimum.
No tube, no trains, no buses, no car, and you want to walk out?
You must be joking. Use a bike? You really are joking now.

What's wrong with walking? 20 miles isn't far. You don't want to walk through a city cause it's dangerous, but you'll stay there indefinitely. Right....

(26 March 2013, 09:56)Nutmeg Wrote: I would also be unsure how to live in the country.
Except for trips to the coast the countryside seems like open spaces with not much there.
Within a mile of me is all sorts of things. Hospitals, chemists, warehouses, shops. When you look at what I can find, and what you seem to want to eat (roots and berries), unless I cant breath the air, why move.

What happens when the hospitals are full of dead / dying or diseased people, chemists have been robbed / burned, warehouses and shops have fallen to the same fate? All you can find in the city is pre-packaged food. That WILL run out. Quickly too, there's not that much food about considering the amount of people.

Again, you're going to stay in a city, but you think anyone who's going to walk or bike out (probably take 4 or 5 hours on foot or 2 on bike) is having a laugh?

(26 March 2013, 09:56)Nutmeg Wrote: I would also be unsure how to live in the country.

Easily fixed, it's a lot easier than you may expect. With a couple of books and a lot of research you'll do just fine.

Big Grin

Oh, I live in a city too BTW, quite a big one.
I'll be making my way out if I need to, with wife and toddler in tow. On foot.
26 March 2013, 12:34,
I'm off on a mock bug out in a week or so,

depending on my financial situation it may be a bug out for real!!

book yourself a train to Aberdeen Meg, ill show you the ropes!
26 March 2013, 12:39,
(26 March 2013, 12:34)Binnie Wrote: I'm off on a mock bug out in a week or so,

Hahaha, in Aberdeen the ropes are normally found wrapped round the wrists and ankles, tightly Big Grin Tongue
26 March 2013, 12:53,
The point meg is you joined here for help...but you have to help yourself ! so get off your arse and stop all the negative stuff..you hold the keys ...do and learn to help yourself ...this is why the site was set up....but you must be willing to participate fully in order to get the most out for yourself...read up on more stuff (thats on here) but start to be positive about life...drop the bleeting....things can get better its up to YOU ...concider this a kick up the arse
26 March 2013, 12:55,
i dont live in a city anymore, but i lived in Plymouth for 43 years which classifies me as a city dweller any day. i used to live in a suburb about 3 miles from the city centre and about a mile from the Tamar Bridge( the Cornish border for those of you who dont know the area). anyway, if i was living there now, there was a railway line within half a mile-i would use that, just walk alongside the line and bug out that way.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 March 2013, 13:04,
(26 March 2013, 12:39)BeardyMan Wrote:
(26 March 2013, 12:34)Binnie Wrote: I'm off on a mock bug out in a week or so,

Hahaha, in Aberdeen the ropes are normally found wrapped round the wrists and ankles, tightly Big Grin Tongue

LOL! that depends which clubs you frequent Cool

It's not a bad place really, with money comes drugs, then its a slippery slope from there,

but there are massive amount of good BOL's within walking distance!