Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horses
27 March 2013, 15:57,
Horses
Just wondering if anyone has thought of horses as a mode of transport?
I’ve recently started to learn to ride a horse and only intend to learn the basics (it’s a bit pricey!)
I figure this could be quite a useful skill to acquire and a basic knowledge is better than none.
27 March 2013, 16:03,
RE: Horses
(27 March 2013, 15:57)Mosstrooper Wrote: Just wondering if anyone has thought of horses as a mode of transport?

horses for the most part are too highly strung, bit of plastic flapping in the hedge and there off, for that reason i have discounted horses and intend to go with donkeys, or maybe Alpacas(of which there are plenty around here) as a pack animal.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 March 2013, 16:05,
I can ride a horse......its a case for staying on long enough ....thats all
27 March 2013, 16:08,
Only tried riding once as a kid, would try it again.

Bp alpacas are great for chasing foxes, so there worth keepng near your chickens on shtf farm.
27 March 2013, 16:16,
no alpacas or donkeys (loads of asses though) near me but plenty of horses, and they sould still be around long after the gogo juice has dried up ......... unless they`ve been eatenDodgy
27 March 2013, 17:43,
well like everything else post SHTF you'll have to go with whats in your area..if its horses so be it, luckilly plenty of donkeys and alpacas around here...horses too.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 March 2013, 19:01,
Go for it, Mosstrooper. Horses are great. I have 3 and have been riding since I was 5 years old. It's not just riding either, you can drive horses and of course they are a useful animal to pull ploughs, logs, whatever. If you want to do it properly, take a course in horsemanship and management. Good luck to you.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
27 March 2013, 21:40,
I've been looking into horse-logging as a way of extracting our timber and foliage. There was a demonstration up at one of our Forestry Commission sites recently. I've also seen Martin Clunes's TV series. Very interesting.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
27 March 2013, 21:44,
Was also on this show http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ng5lr
27 March 2013, 23:00,
We have heavy horse logging up here, a local girl started it a few years ago,..and she has found work for the Forestry Commission ever since.

We also have a Horse rescuer not too far from us, she always has many horse, both full sized and Shetlands,... maybe if the SHTF I could `borrow` one...Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.